Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for awhile now (actually since I bought the bike) been using a single ear bud plugged into my phone while I ride.

This allows me to listen to a little music as well as be informed if a message or call comes in (when that happens I'll typically pull over to check, especially if I'm expecting a notification of sorts).

The temps are climbing, and the ear bud was starting to get a bit uncomfortable. I'll let you use your imagination instead of spelling it out. :D

I got to thinking that there are several blue tooth style communication systems out there that have both a set of speakers and a mic that allow listening to music as well as taking phone calls. I'm not actually in a position to buy one of these yet, but I still wanted to have the functionality of ear bud.

Here is what I did. I went to K-Mart and purchased a cheap pair of Memorex ear phones (the over the ear type) and I cut off the head band. This allowed me to attached the speakers (due to lack of a better word) directly to the lining of my helmet with velcro (I wear a full face). The cord hangs down my back and is easily able to plug into my phone the same way that the ear bud did.

I had concerns about being able to hear traffic due to the fact that I had two ear phones instead of the single one that I was accustomed to. After a short ride, this was not an issue, as even with my stock exhaust I was still able to hear the bike more clearly than the music, and traffic noise was about the same as without any music at all.

I think I have a total of less than $10 invested in this, so it's a cheap way to stay connected and comfortable at the same time.

I thought I'd share for anyone who might desire something similar. If there is an interest, I will post pics of my set up.

Exco

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,788 Posts
I'm happy for the people I know that ride with some kind of earbuds and /or headphone speakers in helmet (yep,heard of guys doing stuff like that).
I tried wearing several different earbuds and even small headphone speakers incased in a old full faced helmet and I had to turn up the volume so much and even though with wind and motor noise it didn't seem like I didn't, I had it turned up loud ..after a while I figured out that couldn't be good on my old hearing system and gave up on it.
Most of the time I'm on the highway..maybe putting round town would be OK

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I've been using the UClear for about a year now. It works pretty well. I don't ride with others too much, so haven't tried the bike-to-bike part. Met some guys in Kentucky who were using the same gear and it works great for them.

Sena makes a similar kit. In all cases, the prices are kinda high.

As tlg mentioned, when on the highway, the wind noise is such that I just turn off the music. Can't really hear much at 70+. When cruising around at 50-60, it is great to have some tunes. Getting a call means you have to slow down to take it, or pull off when you can, if you are on the freeway.

UClear does regular updates to the firmware and you get better and more features. Still, these things are very limited in functionality due to the kind of controls they have. I can get the thing started and turn on and off the music, but once on the bike and rolling, that is it. I can't find the buttons or make the combinations to get the other functions safely.

The ideal helmet headset would allow you to do voice commands to your phone. I'm still looking for that. I've seen a few cool helmets with bluetooth capability, but none provide access to my iPhone Siri. The handsfree option would be safer, more functional and just generally better.

Consider: in a strange place, all I would have to do it tell Siri to take me to the nearest Starbucks or HD dealership. As it is, I have to stop, take off the gloves and helmet, put on my glasses, dig out the phone and then get Siri to find the nearest whatever.

On my recent trip, this happened all too often. Thus, my handsfree wishlist.

/EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I'm looking for a better, quieter, fiberglass-based full-face/modular helmet. That should help, too.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
The ideal helmet headset would allow you to do voice commands to your phone. I'm still looking for that. I've seen a few cool helmets with bluetooth capability, but none provide access to my iPhone Siri. The handsfree option would be safer, more functional and just generally better.

Consider: in a strange place, all I would have to do it tell Siri to take me to the nearest Starbucks or HD dealership. As it is, I have to stop, take off the gloves and helmet, put on my glasses, dig out the phone and then get Siri to find the nearest whatever.

On my recent trip, this happened all too often. Thus, my handsfree wishlist.

Pssst..... Google Now. :nod

IPhone should have it in about 2 years or so. :laugh

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using the UClear for about a year now. It works pretty well. I don't ride with others too much, so haven't tried the bike-to-bike part. Met some guys in Kentucky who were using the same gear and it works great for them.

Sena makes a similar kit. In all cases, the prices are kinda high.
I had actually planned on purchasing the Sena set up, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm not familiar with the UClear set ups, but I will be Googling it next.
thanks for the tip

Exco

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I had actually planned on purchasing the Sena set up, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm not familiar with the UClear set ups, but I will be Googling it next.
thanks for the tip

Exco
I have both, ( it was an accident) I prefer the Sena, but the Uclear gets the job done in the modular loud. To me the Sena sounds better.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Pssst..... Google Now. :nod

IPhone should have it in about 2 years or so. :laugh
iPhone has it, just not with the gear/setup I have. Wouldn't have a Google/Android device. Period. Remember, I'm an old InfoSec dude. I know too much about these things.

Voice commands work great in the car, though, via the iPhone/car bluetooth interface.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I've had the Sena system for about 2 1/2 years now and would not be without it. Bought primarily for driver/pass com with my wife to put her at ease, we've found that it enhances the ride experience for us. As a huge bonus, I found that it works great as a Bluetooth interface with Siri on iPhone. I listen to Pandora and itunes bluetoothed from my phone, voice nav from Google maps and other nav sources on the phone, and yes, full phone function with one button touch. It is very user friendly even with winter gloves on. It pairs up instantly and now Sena is offering firmware to allow compatibility with non-Sena bluetooth devices. I have the standard helmet speakers for my 3/4 helmet and I have an additional helmet clamp that allows me to use earbuds with my half helmet. This is a great option because my earbuds provide high quality audio and reduce excessive wind noise with the halfie.

This is one of the better products I've ever bought and the company and product seems to be first class in quality. Oh, did I mention I like this system? :)

--

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
iPhone has it, just not with the gear/setup I have. Wouldn't have a Google/Android device. Period. Remember, I'm an old InfoSec dude. I know too much about these things.

Voice commands work great in the car, though, via the iPhone/car bluetooth interface.

How about if a phone ran on SE-Linux?

Would you run that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the new Sena SMH10 and love it, works well with Siri iphone6.
Well when she (Siri) understands what I'm saying at freeway speed.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I have the new Sena SMH10 and love it, works well with Siri iphone6.
Well when she (Siri) understands what I'm saying at freeway speed.
She's telling you to shut up and pay attention to the road at that speed.

:D

--

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the unclear on my wife and my helmets, we can talk or rather I can listen. What I really like about it is being able to hear my gps. I can also answer an incoming call by just saying hello. Music sound is ok until highway speeds. It is small and no wires.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I have the unclear on my wife and my helmets, we can talk or rather I can listen. What I really like about it is being able to hear my gps. I can also answer an incoming call by just saying hello. Music sound is ok until highway speeds. It is small and no wires.

"the unclear"

Is that a typo? Either way, it's funny! :D

--

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
How about if a phone ran on SE-Linux?

Would you run that?
Haven't seen one that actually worked, as a phone. Heard of 'em, though. I like something that works, not something I am constantly having to make work. Was a Linux admin too long. And a Windows System Admin. And, HP3k. ;-)

Speaking of, I have to fire up my Windows virtual and get it up to date. Seems that's about the only thing I do with it anymore. Unless I play Halo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts