Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with plugs fouling with carbon very quickly like a few miles, I checked compression thinking I make have a stuck valve but compression is fine, was wondering what size jets I should be running. It has 2 inch straight drag pipes with power cones stock carburator and stock coil(new). Thanks I am a retired 2x cancer survivor and not having much fun not being able to ride more than a couple miles before I have clean my plugs!

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
1988 Sportster came with a CV carb (Ronnies Parts). Different carb on your bike ?
The knob says choke but it's an enrichener.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well the choke is off once the bike warms up, I still think it the jets can anyone tell me what jets to use with straight drag pipes w/ power cones?

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
Are those 'power cones' installed up at the exhaust ports ?

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
Back to the carb. is it the original or different ? Parts book indicates it should be a Keihin CV.
Also the EVO engines weren't straight pipe friendly. The exhaust reversion occurs approx. 16" from the port, notice the pipe discoloration in that area. That's also dependant on RPMs but average 16". Also mufflers play a part in that equation but we're talking straight pipes here. Also I'm assuming you have the 36" - 42" pipes.
JETS, #45 pilot and #170 main. Turn the slow screw out 2 turns from lightly seated for starters. Also verify the float level.
If you had the carb bowl off and the main jet out make sure the needle jet is installed right side up, it'll fit either way. The concave end goes up, the jet needle goes into the concave end, the other end is flat.
Now the ball's in your court !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back to the carb. is it the original or different ? Parts book indicates it should be a Keihin CV.
Also the EVO engines weren't straight pipe friendly. The exhaust reversion occurs approx. 16" from the port, notice the pipe discoloration in that area. That's also dependant on RPMs but average 16". Also mufflers play a part in that equation but we're talking straight pipes here. Also I'm assuming you have the 36" - 42" pipes.
JETS, #45 pilot and #170 main. Turn the slow screw out 2 turns from lightly seated for starters. Also verify the float level.
If you had the carb bowl off and the main jet out make sure the needle jet is installed right side up, it'll fit either way. The concave end goes up, the jet needle goes into the concave end, the other end is flat.
Now the ball's in your court !
Thank you very much now I know where to begin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts