Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at chain conversion kits for my boyfriend for Xmas, the thing is I am unsure of what the best size sprockets are. I’ve provided the link below for the specific kit I’m looking at. He has been trying to wheelie his bike in the last couple of months but also would enjoy the highway speed. Any recommendations for an in between?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the goal is wheelies then he'll need the smallest front sprocket that will just give him a wheelie...but he'll pay for it in highway speed/RPM's. Talk to the guys at Trackerdie and see what they think...they'll be able to do the math for you regarding highway speed/RPM changes...

But I gotta say...doing wheelies with a Harley, well...it just ain't right...plus, it's a lot more dangerous than doing it with a dirt bike... "just say NO"...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Stopped at a red light once on my '96 bagger and this kid comes down the sidewalk on his skateboard. I says to the kid "Do a trick". He replies, "Do a wheelie". I said OK. He says, "on that?" His jaw dropped as I carried the front wheel through the intersection. That being said, I don't do that anymore. As Nickp said "It just ain't right". I will say though that there is nothing like the feeling I got when my FXRS was coming off the line hard, carrying the front wheel about 3 or 4 inches off the ground with the rear wheel hooking up really good. I'm smiling as I think about that. Those days are over. I was younger and stupider then.

·
Registered
43,116 Posts
That Sporty looks nice the way it is and it would be a shame for him to crash it doing stunts.
He should practice doing wheelies on a dirt bike, but only if he has good health insurance.
A cheap Grom can do wheelies all day long. I think you can get them for the same price as 2 Bic lighters.

·
Registered
43,116 Posts
Although it's been rumored that someone on the forum has done a wheelie just by wicking the throttle, no clutch, on their M8 on stock gearing.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
Although it's been rumored that someone on the forum has done a wheelie just by wicking the throttle, no clutch, on their M8 on stock gearing.
....and a 131 doesn't hurt either doing that lol. Stop rubbing it in haha

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,189 Posts
Not sure why wheelies on a Sportster are his quest, but a stock 1200 Sporty with a belt will wheelie. What other folks have said about getting his practice (and replacing steering head bearings) on a dirt bike first holds. There are much better bikes to learn to wheelie on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts