Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 fxdx with short shots. lately, I've been getting a lot more "popping" than usually when I let off the throttle. also, it's becoming more and more common for my bike to shut off during deceleration (usually as I'm letting off the clutch and rolling back on the throttle during down shift). when that happens, I'll
get a loud pop and the engine will shut off, kinda scary when I'm still rolling. any help would be awesome. ( yes I only use 93 fuel)

·
Señor Member
19,724 Posts
Too lean? What do your plugs look like?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
First thing to do is determine weather it's a fuel or ignition problem. Sure sounds like a dirty carburetor or water in the fuel, but a failing ignition can present those symptoms as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bike starts right up with no problem. I just recently had to carb professionally cleaned (it's an s&s by the way). before I had it cleaned, the bike would have a hard time
starting at all. I was told I was getting too much fuel. after it was fixed I haven't had a starting problem. now the biggest problem is during decel

·
Señor Member
19,724 Posts
the bike starts right up with no problem. I just recently had to carb professionally cleaned (it's an s&s by the way). before I had it cleaned, the bike would have a hard time
starting at all. I was told I was getting too much fuel. after it was fixed I haven't had a starting problem. now the biggest problem is during decel

Did this problem begin immediately after your carb service?

·
Señor Member
19,724 Posts
Still thinking fuel/air (carb) or spark (ignition) as Bob said.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Could be intake gasket leak causing a lean condition.
My thoughts exactly. It's happened to me twice now. (Intake gaskets leaking.) And if you keep riding it that way it's bad for the engine because it makes it overheat. Don't do it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
A quick way to check to see if the intake gaskets are leaking is to mist a little starting fluid around the intake manifold, if you hear a slight increase in the engine rpm then it is sucking air past the gaskets for sure.

·
Registered
850 Posts
try spraying a little starting fluid around the gasket area only. if you get an accel from the motor, intake leak.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like an intake leak.
Take off the breather and cover the carb throat with the palm of your hand…carb should suck your palm in and the bike should shut down immediately…if not you have an intake leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts