Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there fellas been a while since ive been on here. So ive been fooling with my bike, installed a new BADLANDS turn signal module today. My brake light will not work at all... It doesnt even turn on as a regular "running light" any ideas? Now let me tell you, I opened up the handlebar switch housing and saw that the red wire on the STOPLIGHT switch was disconnected.

Now heres the kicker, I installed a new rear break light sender and the ORANGE has voltage but the red wire doesnt. the red wire SHOULD receive voltage when the break is depressed but it doesnt.

Any ideas?? I know I have to install a new brake light switch in the handlebar housing; will that cause the brake light not to light even as a "running" light? My turn signals work fine **Ive been working on those** and have checked all the wiring per the diagram. All the circuit breakers are fine.

Any ideas on why its not working at all??
Oh and BTW this is a NEW brake light assembly and I know the bulb works because I hooked it up to a stand by battery for a quick second to make sure.

Bike info:

1992 Fatboy
All stock

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
The turns and run/brake light are on different circuits so the Badlands module shouldn't affect the run/brake lights. Two switches control the brake light function, the front switch by the brake handle and the rear switch in the brake line below the trans. The rear running light is on the main light circuit. You can test the rear brake light switch by unplugging the wires from the switch and jumping them together, the brake light should come on.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that the brake light isn't even coming on as a running light at all! I've tested the rear brake light switch and the power coming from the leads. A I said above, on lead is power the other doesn't power on and I assuming that the circuit completes with hydrolic pressure. My brake light has zero power coming fr the main harness and I don't know why

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
The rear brake switch wires, one hot and one not until the switch contacts connect internally. Bypass the switch by touching the two wires together, the brake light should come on. The running light is controlled by the main light circuit and fuse. I would check the wiring harness inside the rear fender for damage. You can also disconnect the rear light harness under the seat and apply B+ to the light terminals to make sure the harness is good.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I jumper the rear switches the brake light doesn't work at all. I'm done with this bike it's nothing but a worthless piece of shit. I wasted 8 grand on it and I've spent over 2000 trying to get this bike to run again I'm done ill sale it to a salvage yard

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw everything from the rear harness is good I want to understand why it's not getting any electricity..... All the curcuit beakers are good I've checked them all with a test light there is no electricity at the rear connector at the main harness

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts
Is there continuity along the entire circuit? Get the manual and follow the diagrams with a DMM
No power = open circuit

Really simple, but sell it on and let someone with the patience to find the issue have it.

Remember we are all helping from a far and only know what you are able to tell us.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there continuity along the entire circuit? Get the manual and follow the diagrams with a DMM
No power = open circuit

Really simple, but sell it on and let someone with the patience to find the issue have it.

Remember we are all helping from a far and only know what you are able to tell us.

I've had this cycle for 6 years am it has never run correctly. I have spent over 2500 and 4 years just to get it running right but no one can get it running correctly. I've had 4 yrs of patience and it hasn't been rideable for 4 years. So **** off with your patience comment ******* you got no idea what the **** I've been through with this I long bike. A harley might sound nice by its quality is shit

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I've had this cycle for 6 years am it has never run correctly. I have spent over 2500 and 4 years just to get it running right but no one can get it running correctly. I've had 4 yrs of patience and it hasn't been rideable for 4 years. So **** off with your patience comment ******* you got no idea what the **** I've been through with this I long bike. A harley might sound nice by its quality is shit
Woah.....

Geeze man slow down a bit here!! I can almost guarantee you if you have just a bit more patience that Schmidtys can walk you through this and solve the problem. One last effort, a last hoorah.

I can understand how frustrating it is when things break a lot (been there done that) but if it is one thing then you can work through it, it CAN be fixed by someone somewhere. I can tell you, Schmidtys can be that guy if you just give him the chance. Cursing out valued forum members isn't going to solve your issue and it is just gonna get you banned and how is that going to help fix your bike?

Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts
Well as said, you cuss at me again you will get some time off.

I am not sure who would spend that kind of money over 4 yrs and not have a bike they could ride.
The factory service manual is a much needed tool and maybe the best thing you can buy for your bike.
The brake/run circuits are fairly simple circuits as stated in the posts above. Have you followed all the advice?
Ring the wires from point A to point B.
For grins try a new lamp, you never know.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Too bad dro2204 isn't closer to Wisconsin, I could fix the electrical issues. Kinda hard to fix online though.
The main harness connector to the rear harness under the seat is where I would focus. unplug the connector and test for B+ at each light terminal in the front connector while functioning the light being tested. If they work the problem is in the rear light harness, if not the problem is forward and needs to be traced.
It kinda sounds like one of the harness connectors came apart or got cut.
Has the bike been in an accident or anything else unusual happen to it ???

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well as said, you cuss at me again you will get some time off.

I am not sure who would spend that kind of money over 4 yrs and not have a bike they could ride.
The factory service manual is a much needed tool and maybe the best thing you can buy for your bike.
The brake/run circuits are fairly simple circuits as stated in the posts above. Have you followed all the advice?
Ring the wires from point A to point B.
For grins try a new lamp, you never know.
Ooo I'm scared hey guess what Internet tough guy **** YOU.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too bad dro2204 isn't closer to Wisconsin, I could fix the electrical issues. Kinda hard to fix online though.
The main harness connector to the rear harness under the seat is where I would focus. unplug the connector and test for B+ at each light terminal in the front connector while functioning the light being tested. If they work the problem is in the rear light harness, if not the problem is forward and needs to be traced.
It kinda sounds like one of the harness connectors came apart or got cut.
Has the bike been in an accident or anything else unusual happen to it ???
Thank you for the offer! And no some idiot took it apart, tried to put it back together but did a half ass job at it and I didn't know this until I had it over 2 yrs

·
Poser Member # 99
17,148 Posts
dro2204

Be careful who you mess with misilink is a Mod too . and ya never Know who your Pi$$ing off they might just suprise you .
Theres a lot of great guys here that will help you out. But Thread lightly when Pi$$in in the wind

:stir....:stir

1 - 16 of 16 Posts