Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week after my battery dies on my 07 Road King I got security to help me jump my bike. It was a nice day and I was in a hurry. The cables were on the battery on the jeep. The jeep was not running. I clipped the positive cable to the negative post for a whole 3 to 5 seconds befor I realized my mistake. Everything on the bike went dead. Got a new battery and the bike started up and I rode it home 12 miles away no issues. Next day I ride to my parents home 20 miles away no issues. I go to leave and the bike quits / went completely out. Not even a click when I turned the ignition. I managed to get it back home the next day but the bike did stall out 4 times. Each time was at an intersetion either stopping or going real slow bur not blanking out completely so I made it home. I have the bike in my garage and I start it up and it blanks out a couple minutes after start up. I can wait 10 minutes and all my power is back up. No issues starting the bike, just keeping it from stopping / blanking out all together. Does anyone have any kind of clue as to what it could be? Checked battery wires, fine. Checked fuses and changed out main fuse even though no fuses were blown. I'm not sure where to look now. A bad Diode? Computer chip? I would like to exhaust all my options before I take the bike in to the dealer. Money is the issue here. Thanks in advance. I just wan to :biking:

·
Maddog
394 Posts
You should ALWAYS use the engine for your negative connection(s).
Sounds like a bad ground or something like that. For everything to go
dead... Do the lights come on?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
I'd start with the obvious.
Check for codes,the ground and just for fun,check the big ecm connection under the seat. Make sure it's clean and while it's apart, hit it with some dia.grease.It's a good time to do the same with the injector connections under the tank @ the intake aswell.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All

Yes, I Have full power, nothing out of place or not coming on. No codes are coming up. Did that two days ago. I will check the negative ground again and clean. I will use engine for ground in the future and I will grease the ECM and the fuel in jectors. I will carry on but keep the suggestions coming. Thas is bound to have happened to someone else at some time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are going to disconnect your ECM you will want to pull the fuse for it first. Then grease the plug. You will want to work the dia.grease down into the holes of the plug and also put some on the prongs on the male end as well. Once that is done and you have plugged it back in and replaced the fuse you should also Initialize the Module by

a.) Turn the ignition on for 30 seconds, making sure
the “Run / OFF” Rocker switch is in the “Run”
position, DO NOT start the engine at this point or
move the throttle during initialization.

b.) After the ignition has been on for 30 seconds,
turn the ignition off for 30 seconds.

c.) Repeat Steps a & b two more times without
starting the engine. The module is now installed and
initialized.

You should have also done this after you had replaced your battery.

Good luck

Bruce

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good input.

It could be as easy as this. My ECM is on the RH side under the side panel. I will look in my service manual just to be sure.
Thanks Bruce.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Measure your battery voltage , it should be 13 + vdc sitting and 12 to 13vdc running. If it is below 12vdc at any point it's prolly done.

This is the component that originally caused issue since you needed a jump , check it out 1st.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yes, I Have full power, nothing out of place or not coming on. No codes are coming up. Did that two days ago. I will check the negative ground again and clean. I will use engine for ground in the future and I will grease the ECM and the fuel in jectors. I will carry on but keep the suggestions coming. Thas is bound to have happened to someone else at some time.
Check in this case means remove the trim strip and check the connection...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Battery is new

I changed the battery the first day. I will be checking the negative ground connections tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I changed the battery the first day. I will be checking the negative ground connections tomorrow.
What you are describing has to be an electrical connection issue - the intermittent nature points to vibration being the cause (as the motor vibrates the connection is broken). It is also possible that wire insulation has rubbed through, leading to an intermittent short.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Along for the Ride
66 Posts
Have you considered the symptoms you have now may have been what caused your original battery to die, but now you have a new, hot battery? Sounds like either a loose connection or a short to me also.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Working on the bike tonight.

Thank you guys for chimming in and helping a guy out. I have some work to do tonight but I also plan on getting to the root of my issues. It's supposed to rain for the next three days here in Michigan so I have some time to figure it out. Much appreciated advice guys, I'm so thankful I have this supprot staff willing to help eachother out.:drunk

·
Retired citizen
22,083 Posts
Or a diode in the regulator burnt out and the battery is draining when the ignition is off.
To test for the diode unplug the regulator and probe each pin in the connector with a 12v test light and to an engine ground. If it lights at any pin a diode is bad.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mr. Nipplesurfer

Ding Ding Ding - It was a loose ignition switch. Bike is up and running again. Woo Hoo now I can :biking:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts