Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2016 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail with 2,000 miles. I've noticed after being out riding. After the bike is parked. Not immediately. Maybe some 15-20 minutes later something starts dripping. Leaks a bit, and this last for like an hour or so, and then it stops leaking.

I can't tell from where it's leaking from. Other than it's making it's way to the lower frame of the bike on the right hand side. And then dripping to the ground. I've been keeping a constant eye on Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, and the Primary. And everything seems to be where it should be. I really hate not knowing where this is coming from. don't know if anyone might have some ideas or suggestions. I'll include a photo, which shows where about the leak is ending up on the ground compared to the bike. Which I know may not be at all helpful. What ever leaks, goes down. May run along what ever, and then leaks to the ground. when it reaches the lowest point. I have tried to look as best I can, at what seals and drain plugs I can see, and other locations which I can see. Just not seeing where it's coming from.

Attachments

·
South GA Redneck
3,877 Posts
If those exhaust are aftermarket, check the two bolts the the exhaust mount to on the transmission cover. They are known for getting loose and causing an ever so slight leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If those exhaust are aftermarket, check the two bolts the the exhaust mount to on the transmission cover. They are known for getting loose and causing an ever so slight leak.

thanks for the reply, I will do that. I recently bought this bike used. It does have aftermarket python pipes on it.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Could also be coming from the clutch cable. O-ring where it goes into clutch cover could be gone.
Have two friends with touring bikes had the beginnings of a leak at the clutch cable. Mine a 09 had some oily dirt gathering at fitting but no leakage. Put a wrench on it turned slightly more than a 1/4 then felt like it seated using one finger. The other two bikes had similar improperly tightened fittings. Just FYI to you all.

·
Proud Infidel
2,570 Posts
;7310303 said:
This would be the place to start.
Or he could crawl on the ground and actually trace the leaking oil to see where it originates.

Sent from here to there.

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does it smell like... gas, oil, brake fluid... what does it feel like... water, greasy? Let us know what you identify.

From my un-experienced view.. it feels like oil. It accumulates on the bottom of the right side of the frame. Where it eventually leaks to the ground. I can run my fingers along the bottom of the frame, and feel it, to me it feels like oil.

Or he could crawl on the ground and actually trace the leaking oil to see where it originates.
Sent from here to there.
Wish I had a lift of some kind, someway to jack the bike up high enough. It was all I could do with the help of my phone camera, getting to the drain plug for the transmission when I changed it out the other day. I've tried what I could do to look on the underneath of the bike. Feel like wherever this leak is, it's something to the right side of the bike, don't appear to be anything directly on the bottom of the bike leaking.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Run fingers under oil line fittings coming out case, under cam chest, under air cleaner

·
South GA Redneck
3,877 Posts
Looking at the picture and unless he’s just cleaned the bike, the oil is not coming from the air cleaner. If it was, it would most likely be all over the side of the bike as well and he would have some serious crankcase breather issues if that much oil was running through the A/C.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,010 Posts
I agree with Jason. I had one of those leaks on my last bike that made me crazy trying to pin it down. Turned out to be a leaking shaft seal or bearing between the primary and crankcase.

·
Barney Fife - Poser
810 Posts
From my un-experienced view.. it feels like oil. It accumulates on the bottom of the right side of the frame. Where it eventually leaks to the ground. I can run my fingers along the bottom of the frame, and feel it, to me it feels like oil.

Wish I had a lift of some kind, someway to jack the bike up high enough. It was all I could do with the help of my phone camera, getting to the drain plug for the transmission when I changed it out the other day. I've tried what I could do to look on the underneath of the bike. Feel like wherever this leak is, it's something to the right side of the bike, don't appear to be anything directly on the bottom of the bike leaking.
Suspect #2?

·
Barney Fife - Poser
810 Posts
Looking at the picture and unless he’s just cleaned the bike, the oil is not coming from the air cleaner. If it was, it would most likely be all over the side of the bike as well and he would have some serious crankcase breather issues if that much oil was running through the A/C.

Actually, if you look closely, there isn't a huge amount of oil on the floor. I could easily see that running across the cam cover and down, especially if it accumulated in the bottom of the AC cover until the bike is parked and leaning slightly to the left. I just found a similar drip on my EVO which prompted me to re-route the breather hose away from the AC (not sure why I hadn't done this already).

Of course the real answer is to clean everything up and go for a ride then watch with a good flashlight to trace the oil to it's source. This really isn't rocket surgery. :wink

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Suspect #2?
The leak appeared before changing out the transmission oil.

Actually, if you look closely, there isn't a huge amount of oil on the floor. I could easily see that running across the cam cover and down, especially if it accumulated in the bottom of the AC cover until the bike is parked and leaning slightly to the left. I just found a similar drip on my EVO which prompted me to re-route the breather hose away from the AC (not sure why I hadn't done this already).

Of course the real answer is to clean everything up and go for a ride then watch with a good flashlight to trace the oil to it's source. This really isn't rocket surgery. :wink

I have tried this. But I've heard some good suggestions here, to help me try and take a closer look.

·
Retired citizen
22,074 Posts
My guess is, judging from where that oil spot on the floor is, it's residual oil from filter changes. The oil runs down the case and clutch cable and dribbles from the lowest spot on that side of the engine !
I would go to the car wash and pressure wash the underside of the frame and get everything nice and clean for once, then see if the oil spot on the floor returns.

·
Registered
596 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ No matter how careful I am when changing the oil filter, it never fails that oil "spills" below the filter and gets all over. For about a week I have drip marks on the floor.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts