Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ No matter how careful I am when changing the oil filter, it never fails that oil "spills" below the filter and gets all over. For about a week I have drip marks on the floor.
My last oil change, I was crazy careful to not make a mess, IMPOSSIBLE! :fitz
After i finished with the task, I sprayed the chit out of the area around the oil filter with brake cleaner, Then gave it a fresh soapy bath. Fallowed that up with the usual long day of wiping spots, wax on/off and polished up the chrome and aluminum.
Hey, no oil spotting! :grin and a purdy bike :ride

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My guess is, judging from where that oil spot on the floor is, it's residual oil from filter changes. The oil runs down the case and clutch cable and dribbles from the lowest spot on that side of the engine !
I would go to the car wash and pressure wash the underside of the frame and get everything nice and clean for once, then see if the oil spot on the floor returns.
^^^^^^^^^ No matter how careful I am when changing the oil filter, it never fails that oil "spills" below the filter and gets all over. For about a week I have drip marks on the floor.
This thought has occurred to me, and was hoping this is the case. Will take the suggestion of cleaning everything real good to see what happens.

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Like Gman said....trans drain plug.
As I was the one who changed the Transmission oil. I was very careful about this procedure, being my first time to do such a thing. And have repeatedly checked the drain plug. No leaks. Also, the leak appeared before the transmission oil change.

I did have the engine oil changed and oil filter changed at the Harley Dealership a 2 weeks back.

There is no leakage appearing UNDER the bike. Where ever this is from, it's making it way down on the right side and accumulating under the right side of the bike on the frame, and finally dripping at the lowest point.

Gonna have to wait until this weekend, give it a good wash,

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Spray it down with some Windex or 409. Windex works well on chrome comes out shiny. No sense washing whole engine down for a small leak on one side of engine. Checked around push rod tubes and lifter blocks?

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Would any of y'all who have experienced the oil filter change dripping afterwards, mind giving some details as to how long that last ? how many trips ? how much leakage appears and for how long ?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Mine dripped for 2 or 3 days. Then I sprayed the area with degreaser real good, hosed it down and it stopped dripping. Now it's part of my oil and filter change.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Punch two holes in filter with a nail on end at 12 & 6 positions. Top one is to vent bottom to drain. Use HD drain funnel or make one from plastic jug.. Pack a few old rags under filter seal to case, loosen and remove. Very little runs away on case. Partly fill new one. Tighten per. spec. Less time cleaning.

·
Registered
36,932 Posts
Punch two holes in filter with a nail on end at 12 & 6 positions. Top one is to vent bottom to drain. Use HD drain funnel or make one from plastic jug.. Pack a few old rags under filter seal to case, loosen and remove. Very little runs away on case. Partly fill new one. Tighten per. spec. Less time cleaning.
Why oh why did they get rid of the remote oil filter like they had on the FXR? :loco

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
S.T.B., the ultra with an oil cooler is a real problem as even a little oil getting down on the cooler mount can't be wiped up. I always use a self made plastic guard under the filter, but I can't stop it all. That's why I just wash the area after a filter change.

·
fitz
3 Posts
If you changed your engine oil when you did the transmission change I would check the oil filter.
Look at your clutch cable at the adjustment. See if oil is leaking there and running down cable onto frame.

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
If you changed your engine oil when you did the transmission change I would check the oil filter.
Look at your clutch cable at the adjustment. See if oil is leaking there and running down cable onto frame.
This just might be a thing. Checking the clutch cable along the front of the bike where I guess there is an adjustment, underneath an exterior bit of rubber hose.. below that point, on the cable was a bit oily after my ride this morning. This cable runs down and along the right side of the bike, where I could see it getting onto the frame below and dripping. What I don't understand, is what does this have to do with the Oil Change ? At this point, I'm just wondering if it's some kind of connection under that exterior rubber housing where I guess is some clutch cable adjustment ?

And after further reading, I've read on some other threads, where folks had this issue, and it was the Transmission Vent Tube that got clogged, forcing the leak further up the clutch cable ? I've yet to locate the "transmission vent tube" however.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
make sure the cable fastener is tight in the case, and that the o'ring (inside) is good. and there is nothing that an engine oil change would effect a clutch cable. ALSO CHECK to see if there are any cracks in the cable housing, if there are cracks then replacement is the only option

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
make sure the cable fastener is tight in the case, and that the o'ring (inside) is good. and there is nothing that an engine oil change would effect a clutch cable. ALSO CHECK to see if there are any cracks in the cable housing, if there are cracks then replacement is the only option
I posted this earlier in the thread

They came from factory like this :

Have two friends with touring bikes had the beginnings of a leak at the clutch cable. Mine a 09 had some oily dirt gathering at fitting but no leakage. Put a wrench on it turned slightly more than a 1/4 then felt like it seated using one finger. The other two bikes had similar improperly tightened fittings. Just FYI to you all.

·
fitz
3 Posts
When I asked if you changed the engine oil and filter I meant you could check the filter to make sure it's not loose
or often just as bad, screwed on too tight.

On the clutch cable adjustment leak it is a sign your transmission vent may be restricted (blocked).
I have a '09 softail and the vent hose is on the top cover of the transmission. It can be a bear to
get off but mine was stopped up by a mud dauber (bee). Took cover off, cleaned it out and no more leak.
Dumb me, I first replaced my clutch cable first and still had the leak.

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
When I asked if you changed the engine oil and filter I meant you could check the filter to make sure it's not loose
or often just as bad, screwed on too tight.

On the clutch cable adjustment leak it is a sign your transmission vent may be restricted (blocked).
I have a '09 softail and the vent hose is on the top cover of the transmission. It can be a bear to
get off but mine was stopped up by a mud dauber (bee). Took cover off, cleaned it out and no more leak.
Dumb me, I first replaced my clutch cable first and still had the leak.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the oil filter appears to be fine. I've been trying to find the location of this transmission vent tube. Can't find anything online when I look for harley heritage transmission vent tube. From what I've read online, if the oil is coming out of the area where the clutch cable adjustment is, it's like almost always because of the vent tube being blocked. Going to get out there in the morning, see if I can't find this darn thing. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
20,471 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the oil filter appears to be fine. I've been trying to find the location of this transmission vent tube. Can't find anything online when I look for harley heritage transmission vent tube. From what I've read online, if the oil is coming out of the area where the clutch cable adjustment is, it's like almost always because of the vent tube being blocked. Going to get out there in the morning, see if I can't find this darn thing. Thanks again for the reply.
Time to get familiar with your bike......#41 in the link below

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2016 FLSTC HERITAGE SOFTAIL CLASSIC (BVW) | TRANSMISSION HOUSING ASSEMBLY Parts List

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Thanks for the info, that was helpful. Two Questions. Is it going to take disassembly of this piece in order to get to the back side of it in order to do anything with this Vent tube ? I can barely lay hands on it from the other side of the bike. And it's not visible from the tranny side.

Curious if this is a continuing sign of the problem ... I can ride for a 100 easy miles, open road. park it. doesn't drip a drop. Nothing visible on the Clutch cable under the adjustment. Take a ride like this morning, on my commute to work. Sit in traffic, sit through a couple of lights etc. park the bike, and I got oil on that clutch cable beneath the adjustment.

·
Registered
20,471 Posts
Thanks for the info, that was helpful. Two Questions. Is it going to take disassembly of this piece in order to get to the back side of it in order to do anything with this Vent tube ? I can barely lay hands on it from the other side of the bike. And it's not visible from the tranny side.

Curious if this is a continuing sign of the problem ... I can ride for a 100 easy miles, open road. park it. doesn't drip a drop. Nothing visible on the Clutch cable under the adjustment. Take a ride like this morning, on my commute to work. Sit in traffic, sit through a couple of lights etc. park the bike, and I got oil on that clutch cable beneath the adjustment.
If I had to do it , I would remove the transmission dipstick and hold a piece of rubber hose that covers the opening, up tight against it , or just use your mouth, and blow into it , if the vent if clear or plugged , you should know right away.

The clutch cable leak is a common thing. A piece of cardboard under the bike will keep the garage floor from getting stained.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts