Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a what I at first thought was a 1979 Sportster in a trade, No drive train just the frame and everything else, Well after careful inspection I notice the frame is what I believe to be aftermarket where the #s would be is blank and it has a crazy back bone.. I'm going to post pics of what I have. (I hope the pics show up ive uploaded).. all the info I could get would be amazing.. thank you all in advance..

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Even an aftermarket frame would have numbers on it. may not be same place as HD #'s...
if has no #'s anywhere I would venture to guess it is a "Homegrown" frame someone built themselves. I could definitely be wrong, maybe someone more knowing will chime in soon...Im as interested a you are to know wtf it is...
now go do an intro post in the new members area and you will get more responses. There are some very knowledgeable members here, however a lot of guys wont waste time commenting if no intro post. Too many people sign up, ask a few questions n they r never heard from again, so I can see their point!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok great, I dont believe its a homemade frame due it it being so similar to a sportster frame but different, i'll see if i can find the intro page and post there.. thanks for the response..

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
He did not mean for you to post your problem on the intro page.
Just sort of a courtesy to introduce yourself when new to any forum.

You did`t get any paperwork with the frame? No numbers anywhere would worry me.
BTW. It looks like the "crazy backbone" is a weld on adapter for fatbob`s.

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
The crazy back bone is a adapter for fat bob tanks. Aftermarket frames look like stock. Now go to new members section and do intro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry about the confusion guys... i went and introduced myself... thanks for being patient with me..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So- whats the issue of not have any numbers? and once i put this joker together am I going to have any issues registering it as a custom build?

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
So- whats the issue of not have any numbers? and once i put this joker together am I going to have any issues registering it as a custom build?
Unless it`s a pre-1970 frame, I believe, it should have a VIN.
How familiar are you with the person you purchased it from?

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
I grew up with the guy.. Hell I even have the last LP that was issued to the bike..
Without knowing the year of the frame, with no VIN or original title, some sort bill of origin, positive ID is very hard.
If it`s pre 70 then very well could be a OEM frame with the added fatbob mounting.
If it was made after 1970 then likely not a Harley. And that leads us back to why no VIN, source of origin papers of some sort.

Have some real Guru`s on this site. Hoping they`ll chime in with something to help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
close ups of frame

here are the close up i took of the frame.. I just noticed that on the front frame arms look like they are slipped over and welded onto another frame

Attachments

·
Registered
39,511 Posts
Looks like a modified Sporty to me.
Rear section looks '79ish Ironhead Sporty.

Dunno about the neck.

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
Rear tire on wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts