Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of adding a K&N Air Filter Kit RK-3909 and need advice/help. Do I need to re-tune anything after installing the air filter? I am not changing out the stock exhaust, just looking to add the air filter. Will I gain any performance by just adding the filter or am I just wasteing my money and should I wait till I can afford the new exhaust?

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Basically you can change the exhaust (slip ons) without a reflash, but once you change the air flow in, you will probably have to do something.

As long as the volume of air going in remains the same your air/fuel mixture is not affected. The air/fuel ratio is affected when you change the air cleaner/filter.

·
Registered
39,539 Posts
You can get away without a reflash if you do one upgrade, either intake or exhaust, but if you do both, you need to get a reflash done.

Are you running the SE backplate, or stock?

I would recommend the SE backplate if you plan on doing exhaust and other mods.

See this thread for a list of parts for the SE kit.
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854
You can order the parts individually cheaper than if you bought the "kit".

Also, I would recommend the Zipper's air filter if you want more airflow. The Zipper's filter is 1/2" taller than the stock/SE/K&N. PN#1011-0782 thru Drag Specialties dealers. But you need the SE backplate to run it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts