Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright long story short. My dumb ass took my 04 Duece (88) out after winter without checking the oil. Was loosing power but had gas so I knew it had to be oil related. She was bone dry some how (no leaks over winter) had someone bring me couple quarts of 20-50 then next thing you know it's POURING out of my breathers, into throttle body and then out the air filter. Trailered it home, drained it, replace spark plugs and cleaned everything I could get to without going internal. Did a oil filter change (correct one) and added 3 quarts to her. Fire it up. She's idling a little hard trying to get rid of that left over excess oil, then suddenly starts pouring out same place once again. Mind you I have not done shit to it over winter and I'm talking AT LEAST half court or more came out before I could even shut it off.. What in the **** is making the oil come up thru the breathers this much?! Only internal work I've done is replace a broken oil pump last season with a "hi performance" oil pump (also every gasket and o-ring in-between) and then rode bout 2k more miles after that without anything like this happening. Only thing I can think of is some how the pump is just doing too much for a full tank of oil now. So my next move before I gut it all the way down to the pump itself, is to buy the updated breather kit with the metal umbrella. Anyone else have some theories?! Any help is HELP. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the winter the oil in your tank sumped. It was still there but not where your dipstick was. In short, when you added oil you ended up with way too much in there. Hence the puking.
Yeah I figured that much but THAT much? Everything I researched said that'd be a minute amount let alone after I drained the engine itself, plus the oil tank it still did it with 3 quarts in her..

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Yeah I figured that much but THAT much? Everything I researched said that'd be a minute amount let alone after I drained the engine itself, plus the oil tank it still did it with 3 quarts in her..
If the check valve completely failed you could have the right amount of oil in the bike but it is all getting into the crank case way too fast, causing it to burp up out of the breathers. Keep in mind when you drain the oil you are only draining the tank, not the sump...so you could have very well still had ALOT of oil left in the bike and not realized it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the check valve completely failed you could have the right amount of oil in the bike but it is all getting into the crank case way too fast, causing it to burp up out of the breathers. Keep in mind when you drain the oil you are only draining the tank, not the sump...so you could have very well still had ALOT of oil left in the bike and not realized it.
Very true! Now when that check valve takes a crap does the spring push it out to fall and hang freely in the case??? Because nothing dropped in my oil pan when I took the cover off. Also do you know if there's anyway of checking that pressure relief valve without doing all the work to take the pump off itself? What causes that to fail? Too much pressure?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Very true! Now when that check valve takes a crap does the spring push it out to fall and hang freely in the case??? Because nothing dropped in my oil pan when I took the cover off. Also do you know if there's anyway of checking that pressure relief valve without doing all the work to take the pump off itself? What causes that to fail? Too much pressure?
My guess (and this is just a guess) is that it gets stuck open...I don't think anything typically breaks off and falls apart if that makes sense. But honestly not exactly sure how it works. I've run out of knowledge on this one sorry my man!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess (and this is just a guess) is that it gets stuck open...I don't think anything typically breaks off and falls apart if that makes sense. But honestly not exactly sure how it works. I've run out of knowledge on this one sorry my man!
Ahh yeah that makes sense! Lol I appreciate the help and advice man! Hopefully she's not stuck open and I don't gotta gut her out again! Lol

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I'm no pro at this, as i have had only two cases of sumping, with one of them involved the puke! (But it puked out of the oil tank fill port).
My thoughts, FWIW and how i would respond:

Drain the oil tank again, do not add any more oil to the tank. Start the bike and let it run for no more than 5 min. It should stop the hemorrhage by this time. Just idle (no riding).

After shut down check the oil level in the tank. If it looks empty (with a light) You know there's a problem with the check valve.
If you see oil in the holding in the tank. It should be safe to put more in but, only 1/2 way up on the dipstick. Between the low line and the full line)).

Then test it again.

Since you put 2 quarts in, then it pucked: Two quarts spilled on the driveway or garage floor WILL look like lake Erie!

Reactions: Aron96

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm no pro at this, as i have had only two cases of sumping, with one of them involved the puke! (But it puked out of the oil tank fill port).
My thoughts, FWIW and how i would respond:

Drain the oil tank again, do not add any more oil to the tank. Start the bike and let it run for no more than 5 min. It should stop the hemorrhage by this time. Just idle (no riding).

After shut down check the oil level in the tank. If it looks empty (with a light) You know there's a problem with the check valve.
If you see oil in the holding in the tank. It should be safe to put more in but, only 1/2 way up on the dipstick. Between the low line and the full line)).

Then test it again.

Since you put 2 quarts in, then it pucked: Two quarts spilled on the driveway or garage floor WILL look like lake Erie!
Thanks man, I never really knew how to check that valve without taking the pump out itself. I'm gonna put her back together and give this a go and let yall know!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thanks man, I never really knew how to check that valve without taking the pump out itself. I'm gonna put her back together and give this a go and let yall know!
I'm not at all positive that my idea is a sure fire way to check the check valve. I will say in my 40+ years of Aviation maintenance, I have only seen one check valve fail. It was new and unused, failed on first oil on. I have seen them get stuck and bypass 99% of the time it was something else that got stuck in the seat (we call it FOD (Foreign Object Damage or Debris)). That other 1% are those that are new, stuck in the check / closed condition from sitting too long. They would always work correctly after being shocked once or twice. (Light hammer strikes to the valve body.) They just needed a wake-up call to get off that seat.

Don't even ask me where to strike a HD oil pump to wake it up! I have no idea and wouldn't attempt it!

A check valve is the simplest item in fluid control. Just a machined seat, a steel ball or flapper and a spring to push them closed. Some don't even have the spring, they will simply use the weight of the ball or flapper to close the valve (in a no flow condition).

I do know a HD oil tank will hold less than the engine and lines will. :eek: Especially when some extra has been added in! All that Extera, has got to go somewhere! Or something is seriously about to break!

So when the breather tube puke, or the tank pukes... BE THANKFUL!!! of how much $$$ that just saved you! Crate motors ain't cheap!

Bottom line is: One way or another, ya gotta get that excess oil to move out of the bottom and back up into the tank. The trick is to get it to move without causing cavitation of the oil pump. If you hear that pump growl. KILL THE ENGINE PRONTO!

·
Registered
43,113 Posts
What oil pan? Softail's dont have an oil pan.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
Sounds like he meant the pan he drained the oil into. That's how I'm reading it anyway, but I'm crazy.

Reactions: Kainam
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.