Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to seem stupid.....but some young right outta high school guys are splitting rent on a four bedroom house across the street from me.
There are six of them, house has full basement they are making a couple bedrooms out of ?

They all have crotch rockets but a few of them have Harleys in their sights?

While few buddies were over hanging out around my garage the youngsters come over and start talkin to my already half inebriated friends about......the dreaded "what makes a biker"....I was putting in a clutch in a 80 something import for a few bucks so I stayed out of the comic relief subject!!

One thing they "young neighbors and friends" agreed on was a biker has to have tattoo's, even a friend of mine that didn't have any??
I was putting in a clutch plate when he said it, I stopped and looked at him...he just shrugged his shoulders and smiled??

The young guys made fun of people who trailer their bike to rallies and shows and so did my friends, even though on occasion my friends have done it. One of my friends rode his bike to Sturgis and said he wouldn't do it next time and so he trailered it?

I got a headache just listening to it, anyway I told them the answer to being a real biker is probably on internet somewhere???

Did I lie??:rofl::rofl::rofl::biking::bikerguy:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't care what you ride, and how many tatoo's you have. It's how many miles you put on.

I know a few guys that run imports of varying types that put on LOTS of miles. To me these guys are bikers.

I know a few others that are covered with tatoo's, and ride their HD to the bar down the street on Saturdays. They look like a biker, but to me they are just a wanna be.

I got my 2013 FXDC in late October of last year. It was a cool fall, and a really cold winter here. Didn't get in as much riding as I would have hoped. Too damned cold! I do have over 2000 miles on it so far this year, and it sat in the garage when the weather was bad.

I don't have any tatoo's, but I would consider myself a biker as I ride whenever I can. I ride to work every day, and I go on rides after I get home from work.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My take on what makes a biker.

Don't matter what you have for a bike, HD or import. What does matter is how you ride, when you ride, why you ride, how far you are willing to ride, all put together.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I once met a guy who claimed to be a biker, he had a nice looking import, I belive it was a 2003 modle. It was larger than the 2009 500 I had, he claimed he did a lot of rideing.
When I asked how many miles on his bike, he showed me to odometer, only 3,000 miles on a bike that was 6 years old.
I showed him the odometer on my 09 modle that I purchased in 08 and it was reading 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I know a few guys that run imports of varying types that put on LOTS of miles. To me these guys are bikers.

I know a few others that are covered with tatoo's, and ride their HD to the bar down the street on Saturdays. They look like a biker, but to me they are just a wanna be.
That reminds me of this old co-worker of mine, has no tat's, most of the time when he goes riding he's goes alone. Says he just like to go whatever way the wind blows him? and when you go with a group there is a agenda or destination. he had imports for longazz time and would go on vacation and stay in the saddle the whole time, crazy amout of riding!! He bought a Harley few years ago !!

I also know younger group of riders, some of them are related to me.

They just like being a bad azz biker, and I get a kick outta their act and that's all it is, they bar hop or ride to party. most rallies they drive trucks or cars, wearing Harley stuff but have a Yamaha 650 v-star...ain't hatin"just sayin" but in my mind they are "bikers" if they are into...... they are??

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I ride a geezer glide and im only 32,
I ride any where from 40* + and have been known to leave the house when its only 28*. I ride to work as much as possible, polo and slacks.... i dont care if its raining when i leave work, but i will not ride to work if its raining when i leave house, only 16 miles, not worth putting on rain gear, plus i ussually average 8-9k miles a yr. I ahev been known to exceed 10k in a year and have ridden in excess of 6 weeks without getting in the truck. I dont have any tats, long hair, and dont wear leather chaps or jacket. I am definately not the cover material for iron horse or easy rider mag....

So Does that make me a biker? Or a motorcycle enthusiast?

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
I put 38,000 miles on the EVO last year can I be a real biker?

·
SwampRat
836 Posts
Even though have 300,000 Miles in since retired 9 years ago .. Have lost 20 lbs and gave up Beer so guess I ain't a Biker if I ever was .. :)

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
I never claimed to be one.....I have a leather vest that I never wear, and leather gloves that I never wear. Most of the time I ride to work and back, so I'm wearing my work uniform shirt, carharrt pants and work boots. :laugh On the weeekends during the summer it's cut-off sleeve HD shirts, shorts (possibly jeans) and tennis shoes or boots (if wearing long pants).

I'm 1/4-aged, fat, white, and love beer......Can I be a real biker, ooh can I can I can I ?!?!?!

:laugh

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
I never claimed to be one.....I have a leather vest that I never wear, and leather gloves that I never wear. Most of the time I ride to work and back, so I'm wearing my work uniform shirt, carharrt pants and work boots. :laugh On the weeekends during the summer it's cut-off sleeve HD shirts, shorts (possibly jeans) and tennis shoes or boots (if wearing long pants).

I'm 1/4-aged, fat, white, and love beer......Can I be a real biker, ooh can I can I can I ?!?!?!

:laugh
How much hair ya got ?

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Well, I keep it short most of the time #3 guard all over, but right now it's kind of long, it's time for a trim...

If you are asking am I going bald, no, I am not.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Well, I keep it short most of the time #3 guard all over, but right now it's kind of long, it's time for a trim...

If you are asking am I going bald, no, I am not.
:think.....I'm thinkin "cut-off sleeves" will trump the non-baldness in your case...:laugh

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
What do a red tail hawk, an ostrich and a penguin all have in common?

They're all birds.

In my opinion, if you ride a motorcycle with enthusiasm and you truly enjoy it, then you're a biker. Bikers come in all shapes, sizes, abilities, levels of experience, colors, etc.

And don't forget... All bikers are also posers. :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
What do a red tail hawk, an ostrich and a penguin all have in common?

They're all birds.

In my opinion, if you ride a motorcycle with enthusiasm and you truly enjoy it, then you're a biker. Bikers come in all shapes, sizes, abilities, levels of experience, colors, etc.

And don't forget... All bikers are also posers. :)
Soooo.... does that mean I don't HAVE to dress like a gay pirate??? :rofl:

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
You don't HAVE to, but I'd hate for you to ride in discomfort otherwise. :laugh:laugh

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
You sure seem ambiguously interested in dressing like a gay pirate......

Do your thing man. :thumbsup

Just don't do it around me...:eek

:laugh:laugh:laugh

1 - 20 of 29 Posts