Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Softail. I just put a new battery in my bike. My lights are very bright, and my charger says it is fully charged. The bike will not turn over fast enough to start. I can attach jumper cables and it will start. After riding for awhile, I can turn the bike off and it will start on its own a couple of times. It will then go back to turning over too slow to start. Please let me know what you guys think this could be.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Most new Batteries require a 24 hour deepcycle charge on a 2 amp battery charger.
If you have done a deep cycle charge on the battery then I would suspect that the starter is dragging and would need rebuilding or replaced with a new starter.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
What kind of battery did you buy ?
Does it have enough cranking amps ?
Are your cables clean and tight ?
Also check other end of ground cable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's purely speculation & wild arse guessing without us knowing some simple basic info; what's the voltage at the battery with engine off & with engine running? After charging, turn headlight on for 1 minute with engine off and check voltage. Not totally accurate but close enough to a load test for practical purposes.
A simple check with a $15 multimeter from an auto parts house, Sears, etc will point you in the right direction save you from replacing serviceable parts or getting shanked by a wannabe mechanic.
A new battery don't mean squat because most of them are junk anyway.
First thing to check is corroded connections at the battery.
Different types of batteries require different charging rates.
Could be a # of things; weak battery, bad regulator, bad starter.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
What kind of battery did you buy ?
Does it have enough cranking amps ?
Are your cables clean and tight ?
Also check other end of ground cable.
All very important steps in diagnosing a problem with starters.
I do`nt know if they still make them but there used to be an ammeter that You could lay on the starter cable that would tell how many amps a starter was actually drawing.
Even with one of these handy devices the amp draw test will be innacurate if there is any problems suggested By Hawkman in His quote above.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
If you're running it awhile then it will start a few times, and it will start with jumper cables on it every time, I'm looking strait at the battery. Charge the battery over knight, the if you're still having trouble test bat. or take it back to the place you bought it or have it tested at a reliable serv. station. I agree with Hawkmann also.( Look for the simple problems 1st.)

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
try to find a battery distrubutor. they usually will load test your battery before you buy one from them. the battery shops i deal with all have a computerized meeter that will tell them the cca (cold cranking amps)and also the life left in the battery. just because it has voltage does not mean it has enough CCA to turn it over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts