Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is the deal im buying a early 80's harley sportster and what im told is it runs well but when he changed the trans oil and ran it with no oil like a jack a$$ and now the bike goes only into first third and neutral what might be the issue or possible issues and what may have been effected and what should i replace to fix it as cheap as possible:bikerguy:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
so wait, you have not purchased it yet and you know there is a big issue with the transmission; and you still plan to buy???

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
don't be an idiot. Sportsters are everywhere

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im getting for only four hundred and i build cars so im thinking a bike is not any harder i just want to know what what you think could be the issue, shift fork no problem clutch no prob just hoping it could not be any worse

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
I would look for shift quadrant pins loose or broken off.
I suggest the H-D service manual if you plan on digging into the trans.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
Question, does the shifter move up and down freely or does it feel stiff ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What type of engine does it have being early 80's I may have a separate Transmission that unbolts from the engine. For 400 bucks the engine frame etc is worth much more than that if you part it out worst case. You can get most anything you need from Used Pats sites online and ebay. Provided the case is not messed up the trans can be rebuilt

·
Registered
12 Posts
The nice thing about a Sporty is the trans slides right out. If you have the ability, you'll be able to rebuild it fairly easy...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts