Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 ultra classic. Saturday I decided to upgrade the turn signals to led and change out the headlights to led as well. Everything was plug and play and I installed the badlands hyper flash control module. When I got finished I hooked up the battery and turned the key on and tested everything. All lights worked radio etc. etc. I went to start it put it in neutral and turned the ignition switch on waited on fuel pump to stop and hit the starter button. I heard a loud clunk and lost all power. Turned the key off and back on and lights were dim and radio would not turn on and gauges flickering. I booked up a small half dead jump box and everything came back to life hit the starter button and click click click click like a low battery. Battery 3 years old. Took battery and got a brand new one. Charged it over night and the next morning same thing. Loud clunk and nothing. Took cap off solenoid pushed it in and nothing. Jumper wire from battery to solenoid nothing. So now I’m thinking crap starter is shot. Original starter with 47k miles. Went to the dealership got new starter, starter relay, and voltage regulator. Installed everything hooked up a charged battery and what do you know. Nothing still doing the same thing. I have checked all my grounds that I can find. Checked all fuses. Voltage meter shows battery at 12.8 and when I hit the start button it drops down to 3 to 4 to 5 volts. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated I’m only off work every other weekend and I’m trying to get some much needed 2 wheel therapy. Forgot to say I even put all the original lights back in and nothing changed. Thanks everyone and sorry for the poor grammar. I’m using a phone and pretty upset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recheck the battery wiring, positive and negative. That sounds like a bad connection on one of them.
Thanks for the response and help I have checked battery connections multiple times. I’m thinking I’m overlooking a ground somewhere on the frame that’s loose or corroded.

·
Retired citizen
24,392 Posts
12.8v drops to 5v when starter is cranked ! That sounds like the starter pinion gear is contacting the clutch ring gear and stopping (clunk), then the starter is drawing excess current. I would check things inside the primary housing.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
459 Posts
Basic electrical diagnosis on cars, bikes, whatever. is check powers and grounds. If it was working before you did what you did, it's doubtful you have a faulty part. You may have hooked a wire wrong. ie: connected a power lead to ground causing a short. Recheck your work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
12.8v drops to 5v when starter is cranked ! That sounds like the starter pinion gear is contacting the clutch ring gear and stopping (clunk), then the starter is drawing excess current. I would check things inside the primary housing.
Everything inside the primary is perfect. The cover it still off from the starter replacement. After the initial clunk the starter doesn’t do anything and nothing has power. My dad is taking the new battery back to have it tested and swap for a new one just in case they sold me a bad battery. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
25,759 Posts
Everything inside the primary is perfect. The cover it still off from the starter replacement. After the initial clunk the starter doesn’t do anything and nothing has power. My dad is taking the new battery back to have it tested and swap for a new one just in case they sold me a bad battery. Thanks for your input.
With the battery out of the way , follow the ground cable to it's other end, make sure there is no corrosion , take it off and wire brush it to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basic electrical diagnosis on cars, bikes, whatever. is check powers and grounds. If it was working before you did what you did, it's doubtful you have a faulty part. You may have hooked a wire wrong. ie: connected a power lead to ground causing a short. Recheck your work.
Re checked everything. Even put all the original stuff back on still didn’t make a difference. Everything was plug and play. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I’m riding this weekend. Come to find out the brand new diehard battery was bad. Had it tested and it was bad. Got a mega brand from a local motorcycle shop re cleaned all the negative wires I could find and installed the battery and bam I’m back in business. So the new die hard batteries are junk. The last battery was autocraft and it lasted 4 years. Thanks everyone for the input. Stay safe. Headed to the mountains to enjoy some nice fall riding. Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts