Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what's wrong with my bike. I ride a 2007 Street Bob, 40,000 miles, race tuner. The last couple days the bike has been starting hard. By hard I don't mean it sounds like it's not getting fuel, it feels more like a battery. Once while starting it I actually noticed the display go blank. Last night as I was riding I noticed the neutral light and the key light were on. At that time I was on the freeway doin' about 70. When I got off the freeway they turned off. This morning the same thing happened on the way to work. Eventually they turned off, but then the bike started to act like it was going to die. It almost felt like it was out of gas, except that it's got a full tank and when it started to die everything turned off - the display, the speedometer, everything. It would do that for maybe a split second then everything would come back on again. It did behave like this one time before, but that turned out to be a loose ground cable on the battery and I checked my cables and they're tight. Any idea what might cause this? Can a bad battery do all of that? I thought I would get it checked because of the hard starts, but the lights coming on and the almost dying while doing 75 MPH lead me to believe that something else may be happening - espcially in light of the fact that the battery is only two years old and it get's ridin every day. I should mention that I ride in the rain frequently and that it rained yesterday pretty bad in the morning on the way to work. The hard start problem was prior to the rain, the rest started last night after the rain. The only thing is, as I said, I always ride in the rain and this has never happened before.

Thanks for any help! :D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
It's customary to introduce yourself at the very least when joining a new forum before asking for help.

With that said, With that many miles in such a short time the battery should be fully charged. Check the voltage reg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help and I know that, I just got to work a little panicked and posted a bunch of messages on a bunch of forums hoping for a quick fix, though I didn't expect one. Now I gotta get a tow and a rental, eh, whatever...

I'll introduce myself...

Thanks again. That's the same answer I keep getting so that's what I'll check first...:)

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If the battery terminals are tight, then a load test needs to be done on the battery. An internally shorted plate can cause the same issues.

That's not to say it may not be something else, but it's a start. It may also be a connection within the main electrical feed harness, or an issue with the startor or regulator possibly causing it.

It happened to me once, but an ignition switch shorted where the contacts are and melted, causing what you're describing.....

Good luck.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Might remove some covers etc. go at it with leaf blower see if you can blow moisture out of connectors. Check the grd to motor.
Leave it out in the sun for awhile. Id recheck your bat connections, Ifound they can tweek loose and it only take a wee bit for modern electronics to falter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but problem solved, sort of. I checked the post bolts were tight, the ground cable was actually floating under the bolt. I tried to tighten it, but rather than tighten the bolt head cracked off leaving the post in the battery.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Thanks, but problem solved, sort of. I checked the post bolts were tight, the ground cable was actually floating under the bolt. I tried to tighten it, but rather than tighten the bolt head cracked off leaving the post in the battery.
yea they can be overtightened and then nothing left to hold on to the connector, there is a torque value for them. Then too you can bust loose the connection of the lug just inside the battery and that will cause like problems. Be my guess you may have overtightened the first time you had problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure, but the weird thing is that it was loose. I mean, the cable was floating. The bolt wasn't all the way in. I just tried to turn it in a little ways so the cable would be tight to the battery but instead of going in it cracked.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Not really impressed with the battery set up myself on my bikes. They could be better. If they rotate under the fastener thats definatly too loose. Make sure the cable is routed right and not under any tension hence pulling on the bat lug. Can only guess the bolt didnt go farther because it reached the end of thread inside the lug r some foreign debrie at the bottom of the tap hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts