Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I have a question/problem with a title transfer and need some help

I had a bike on finance that I cleared and then sold. I told the guy that I had sold it to that it was financed and that I had just cleared it, showed him the paper work etc and was completely upfront.

He was fine with this and we did the deal.

I advised that I would be getting the title from the finance company and would send it on to him. When I chased the finance company that told me that any delay was due to the DMV who would be sending me the title and not them. Sadly, this has taken over two months and I received the title this morning.

even worse is that the title shows the finance company as the owner and the finance company have filled in my name as the new owner on the back.

Obviously I'm annoyed that it came from the finance company since they told me it would be coming from the DMV and that was where the delay was, but I'm even more annoyed that they have pre-filled in my details....since this means I cannot fill in the new guys details.

It would seem that I have to submit this to the DMV, get the title in my name and THEN I can transfer it to him...but this is going to be another 2 month delay and I feel bad for the guy that he would have to wait another two months for the title

any advice on how I can do this much quicker?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
You might be able to get a title clear/transfer form that will allow the guy to do one transfer. Might google your DMV and explore your options there. Or if you know someone with a dealers license they might do it for you.
Here in Oregon the lien holder just signs off of your title. Don't know why they would set it up as a transfer. What a pain.

·
Registered
275 Posts
you should be able to goto the DMV with the title and the paper work showing you have paid it off with the guy you sold it to and have dmv transfer the title and notarize it

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke to the DMV this morning who said I simply need to go to the offices and pick up a REG262 form which will allow me to transfer the title to the new guy, even though I don't have the title in my name yet.

effectively its jumping the title two people instead of the usual one.

will see how it works

thanks for your advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts