Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I need a lil' help. I haven't had functioning turn signals for years and finally decided to take care of it. I had both rear fixtures but only one worked when starting this project. I only had cut wires on both front ts (the 3 that go to the fixture) when starting. Oh and I was missing the right ts button too. So I figured out the rear ts problem, ordered 2 CHROME MINI OVAL TURN SIGNAL, SINGLE FILAMENT BULB AND CHROME HOUSING from JP Cycles (Part #JP100x171F). I installed my ts button I've had in my toolbox for a few years, installed my new ts and of course reset my stupid Anti-Theft. So now when I signal right, the front ts blinks but nothing in the rear. When I signal left, the front ts blinks AND both rear ts blink also. Oh and neither rear ts lights when either brake is applied. Do I need to get a BADLANDS LOAD EQUALIZER? Is this a wiring harness issue? Relay issue? Please help, I'm about ready to go ballistic!!!

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok folks, I need a lil' help. I haven't had functioning turn signals for years and finally decided to take care of it. I had both rear fixtures but only one worked when starting this project. I only had cut wires on both front ts (the 3 that go to the fixture) when starting. Oh and I was missing the right ts button too. So I figured out the rear ts problem, ordered 2 CHROME MINI OVAL TURN SIGNAL, SINGLE FILAMENT BULB AND CHROME HOUSING from JP Cycles (Part #JP100x171F). I installed my ts button I've had in my toolbox for a few years, installed my new ts and of course reset my stupid Anti-Theft. So now when I signal right, the front ts blinks but nothing in the rear. When I signal left, the front ts blinks AND both rear ts blink also. Oh and neither rear ts lights when either brake is applied. Do I need to get a BADLANDS LOAD EQUALIZER? Is this a wiring harness issue? Relay issue? Please help, I'm about ready to go ballistic!!!
First off what year/model ????

The rear is not wired correctly . :what?

Running lights and brake/turn lights require a twin filament fixture/bulb .

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
2005 Fatboy from the OP's profile.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
We don`t really need all the impertinent info, it just makes the post hard to follow (at least for old geezers like me).

Just the facts, like model and year, and exactly what the issue is.

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts
Start over. Got a manual? Does it have a wiring diagram. If not get one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just last week I had the same problem wiring a boat trailer. The issue was a poor ground. So when you cut the wires you shorted the ground to the hot side I'm sure. Just look at the back at both turn signals and use an ohm meter and make sure you have good ground for each and that no other wires are showing continuity between any others. Ohm meters are cheap like under $10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GM guys! Um, sorry for the "impertinent info" & failure to redundantly post YMM on my FIRST post, really I am. I thought it might be useful to know what was done so far, in the event something I did was to blame. And somewhat hoped it would show I have basic to intermediate skills/knowledge & maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't be talked to like a little girl, so much for that. LOL :blahblah:

Rear ts were functioning as brake lights before I moved to the front ts & button. I'm aware of double filaments & that the rear is the problem. I have a wiring diagram from a previous post where member was kind enough to share, all looks fine. BTW the only thing I did to the rear ts was slipped the clips back into the housing inside the taillight housing, hence my confusion. I think I might have found problem. The housing coming under the rear fender to under seat has a pin missing in one of the slots & it looks like one of my grounds is out of place (not by me). I'll let y'all know... Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solved!!! Help w/Rear Turn Signal

2005 FLSTF FatBoy>>> Well that was my least favorite thing EVER!!! One of the ts wires was FORCED in its slot, took all wires out, cleaned, re-greased & reassembled. I discovered I'm short a wire & rear ts no longer dual as brake lights but I have 4 functioning ts!!! I'm guessin' at some point a wire was rerouted and/or removed? Hell who knows what "honest mechanic" did it, I miss my Biker Family in Austin...

Now on to bigger issues. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts