Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m no mechanic, but want to be one! The oil drain hose on my 883 low was cracked and leaking at the nipple on the oil tank. I got a replacement hose just knowing that I could fix it myself. After fighting with the freakin’ factory clamp for a few minutes, I was able to get the hose off. I pulled the long end out of the crankcase (correct me if I’m wrong. I THINK that’s where this hose leads) almost effortlessly. The new hose came with two clamps. The old hose only had the one clamp on the oil tank nipple, but not one on the other end. I’m eager to fire her up and ride, but my question is... might I have a loose clamp that fell off of the hose when I pulled it? The end looks crimped as if it at one time did have a clamp on it. Is said clamp now in my crankcase? Should I be afraid of starting her up? Do I need to perform more surgery? Does anyone know what I’m even talking about? I know, I know...I really need to order a good repair manual!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so I’m slow, not stupid. I finally figured out that the crimping at the other end is from the oil plug clamp. Now I feel like a derpy-derp. I guess there’s a reason it’s called the DRAIN hose. Duh! Unfortunately I didn’t figure that out until I had to start getting ready for work. I’m completing the repair tomorrow morning and then I’m going to RIDE!!! Repair manual is on order. Now I just need a bike lift and an air-conditioner for the garage! Lol!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey we all had to learn at one time or another.
Good to see another guy working on his own scoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, thanks! Though I may not act like a girl and I do lots of “guy” things because “girly” things are mostly superficial and stupid, I am definitely not a guy. See Thunder-Struck’s comment below. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts