Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gunny
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with the starter on my '02 Classic conversion. I've been getting a click from the starter for a long time but it would eventually kick in an start. Finally died completely. The plunger and contacts in the solenoid were worn so I got a kit and replaced them. Bench tested fine before I installed it. Tied it on the switch before putting the primary chain cover and floor boards back on. No problem. Got everything back together and was going to take a short 'victory' run. Unhook my Battery Tender, turn on the ignition and hit the start button...CLICK. Getting 12V to the wire from the relay. Cleaned the ground posts/wire terminals, applied dielectric compound...still nothing. Pulled the ignition and starter relays and swapped them...no luck. I had the relays I had rep[laced and tried them with the same results. I can run a jump wire from the 12V relay wire connection to the battery cable on the starter, bypassing the relay and the starter works.

I picked up a new relay but haven't tried it yet. Talked to the service dept. manager and he is confused too. No wiring inside the primary chain area that could have caused the problem. Side covers were off so I am going to check inside them and see if maybe a wire is grounding out but I don't think so.

Any ideas on anything else to check? I'm running out of options other than take it to Harley.

·
Gunny
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm having a problem with the starter on my '02 Classic conversion. I've been getting a click from the starter for a long time but it would eventually kick in an start. Finally died completely. The plunger and contacts in the solenoid were worn so I got a kit and replaced them. Bench tested fine before I installed it. Tied it on the switch before putting the primary chain cover and floor boards back on. No problem. Got everything back together and was going to take a short 'victory' run. Unhook my Battery Tender, turn on the ignition and hit the start button...CLICK. Getting 12V to the wire from the relay. Cleaned the ground posts/wire terminals, applied dielectric compound...still nothing. Pulled the ignition and starter relays and swapped them...no luck. I had the relays I had rep[laced and tried them with the same results. I can run a jump wire from the 12V relay wire connection to the battery cable on the starter, bypassing the relay and the starter works.

I picked up a new relay but haven't tried it yet. Talked to the service dept. manager and he is confused too. No wiring inside the primary chain area that could have caused the problem. Side covers were off so I am going to check inside them and see if maybe a wire is grounding out but I don't think so.

Any ideas on anything else to check? I'm running out of options other than take it to Harley.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Getting 12V to the wire from the relay. Cleaned the ground posts/wire terminals, applied dielectric compound...still nothing.
Any ideas on anything else to check?
You must read the voltage at the solenoid (the small wire) with the wire connected to the solenoid.

If you checked the voltage on a disconnected wire it is not telling you what is happening while the circuit is under a load.

Disconnect the battery cables and clean the contacts.

Have the battery load tested.

·
Retired citizen
22,141 Posts
Simple voltage drop test. Record volts across the battery terminals at static, should be 12.6 - 12.8V. Turn the ignition on and press the start button and record the volts. Should not drop 2.5V.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,169 Posts
Most auto Parts will Load test your battery For Free . Call be fore you Go to o Find Out . Clean All your Ground Cables and Connections. I was having this problem on My 85 and I end up putting in a secondary push button close to the Starter for a back up.

·
Gunny
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm starting to suspect the battery, too. It is a Duracell and still under warranty I think. I'm going to pull it and have AutoZone load test it for me tomorrow. Might pull my lawn mower around and use it for a jump to see if it starts with a bit of extra power to the battery.

I will retest the hot wire to the solenoid. I think I tested it with it unplugged.

Thanks for the input.

·
Gunny
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, i was hoping some might see it here and not in the electrical section or the other way around. Need all the input I can get at this point.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Might pull my lawn mower around and use it for a jump to see if it starts with a bit of extra power to the battery.
Don`t waste your time with this stuff, this is not troubleshooting.

I will retest the hot wire to the solenoid. I think I tested it with it unplugged.
THIS is troubleshooting:smile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts