Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up guys? I have this 2004 sportster 1200lx. the rubber mount bastards. I got this bike knowing that it had charging issues. so I replaced the voltage regulator and stator. then i noticed that the 2nd cylender spark plug was fowled. i then took off the cam cover and seen that the timming was off. I took the cams out. found tdc and put them back according to a guide i found online. after this i put the cover both cam and primary back, fill her with oil. the issue is that. when i try to crank her over. the bandex shoots forward, but the starter won't crank. so I but the bike in 3rd gear to see if the engine is cycling correctly. it is very difficult to get her threw the strokes.
Can anybody help me out here? what should my next step be?
I'm a mechanic, just not a harley mechanic. i dont want to hurt the engine.
thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Pull the plugs to eliminate any excessive pressure. Get the tire off the ground put it in first and then use the tire to rotate the motor checking to see if there is any kind of binding issue with the clutch or the placement of the cams pushrods rockers etc. If you can confirm everything is proper then I would look at Battery Load Fuses Connections and Then Starter itself

1 - 3 of 3 Posts