Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I’m brand new here and this is my first post.
I got my first Harley (dyna fxd 2001)about 3 weeks ago. I laid the bike down for the first time last night. I’m okay and the bike isn’t mangled.
I snapped the throttle cable and managed to limp the bike home in first gear. But I came out to check on the bike last night and there was all sorts of fluid underneath the bike. I tried to look it over but it was too dark. When I looked at the bike this morning fuel was leaking out of my intake and pooling on my engine. Could this be caused from the broken throttle cable?

also I turned the fuel line off this morning before work so I could let the bike dry up so I can look for other leaks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got my first Harley (dyna fxd 2001)about 3 weeks ago. I laid the bike down for the first time last night. I’m okay and the bike isn’t mangled.
I snapped the throttle cable and managed to limp the bike home in first gear. But I came out to check on the bike last night and there was all sorts of fluid underneath the bike. I tried to look it over but it was too dark. When I looked at the bike this morning fuel was leaking out of my intake and pooling on my engine. Could this be caused from the broken throttle cable?

also I turned the fuel line off this morning before work so I could let the bike dry up so I can look for other leaks

·
Registered
26,030 Posts

No.
It was caused by the crash.....and so was the broken throttle cable.
A set of crash bars would prevent that kind of damage.

This will help you find the part numbers you'll need.
Take the numbers to your nearest H-D parts counter and you will be back in business.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
Turn your petcock to the 'off' position anytime that you are not using the bike. That is SOP with a carbed bike.

Reactions: Harleyjef

·
Registered
750 Posts
Excellent advice about shutting off the fuel. It avoids leaking onto the floor and also into the crankcase, causing hydrolock.
Usually a broken throttle cable will cause the throttle to close, not stay open. Have you looked at the cables to see if they are working right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent advice about shutting off the fuel. It avoids leaking onto the floor and also into the crankcase, causing hydrolock.
Usually a broken throttle cable will cause the throttle to close, not stay open. Have you looked at the cables to see if they are working right?
The cable is completely shot. I was in the middle of opening up the throttle when it snapped. Idle cable is intact but throttle line completely toast.. I only limped the bike home by feathering the clutch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here’s some pictures that I took when I got home
Looks like you bike is a 2009-2010? If that is the case it is the EFI motor, electronically fuel injected, no petcock and no carburetor, no shutoff.
I would check the fuel line connection to fuel intake manifold, line could be loose or damaged. The system is under pressure when operating as the fuel pump is inside the gas tank. Here is a video about the line.
2016 Harley Dyna fuel line o-ring - YouTube
Replacing The Gas Line On My 07 Harley Sportster 1200 - YouTube

·
Registered
579 Posts
That is definitely a carb. Looks like somebody went to the trouble of converting it to chain drive too. Is that a 4" or 6" over front end too? Lot's of home made parts. So how did you lay it down for the "first time"?

·
Just Ride
3,886 Posts
Nice try 08Dyna, come back again.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
Why is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So that there isn't any pressure on the needle and seat. The fuel tank can build a little pressure with the sun shining on it and the pressure will try to escape wherever it can. It could lead to flooding of the engine and washing out the cylinder walls with fuel and that is not good. I may not be explaining it very well so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Reactions: Breeze3at

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Yep! What RJ64 said.
Temperature and Barometric air pressure will change, causing the fuel pressure in the tank to change. Also, carburetor floats are known to stick. If it sticks open, the fuel will flow right through the carb and into the intake. This can be great enough to not only flood the engine but enough to puddle up in the engine. Hit the starter and fluid does not compress. Something expensive will break on the first cycle of the piston! Always turn off petcocks when the bike is sitting!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
My Pops taught me this one long time ago: Get the bike up to running temp. Then while in your driveway, turn off the petcock. Now ride back to the freeway, or whatever route you normally ride home. When the bike begins to cut out, note where you are, and turn the petcock back to ON. From this time on whenever you reach that same point on your ride home. Reach down and turn off the petcock. The float will run out of gas just after you get home. Now you know:
1. The fuel is off.
2. The float is empty and the valve is open, so it won't be stuck closed whenever you start the bike next.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts