Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 1982 xl1000 custom chopper i built myself i love it but every time i take a longer trip it pukes parts on me i want to change my sprockets down 2 in the rear and 1 up in the front just curious how much this will change my top and and run at a lower rpm at interstate speeds hence a lil less wear and tear on the old girl got a lot into her dont want it eatin my paycheck repeatedly granted i know ironheads r money pits
:feedback::bikerguy:

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
You'll still puke parts. Sportsters in that era weren't built for trips. They were sport bikes. Hence the name. Yeah yeah people have taken trips on them and tighten every bolt when they got to where their going and in between.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not looking to go cross country im not a rookie to the vintage harleys however a 100 mile trip shouldnt be a far sretch for what this bikes capable of i know this was a sport bike i have plent of light to light power but i wanna be at least able to hop from town to town without diggin deep in my pocket do u have any useful knowledge of the sprocket ideas im talkin bout or no im askin for help i know the machine im riding in and out i built it from the ground up im also a vintage guy so i know the history of what i ride . nothin you added is of any help which is the header on this

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If the engine was built properly, it will run damn near forever. You will need a large dose of blue Locktite, and maybe some safety wire. 2 down in the rear, and 1 up in the front is way too high. Try just 2 down in the rear. If you go to high you'll lug the crap out of the engine and really puke parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stock sprockets now kainam, bobf the engine was thouroughly built skimping on nothing at all lock tite applied in healthy doses , as far as luggin her im not affraid to keep the R's up i likeid rather not cut teeth out of my chain to just lower the rear then spend on another chain to go up in the front what do u guys think. by the way i appreciate the competant suggestions thanks. by the way right now i got huge off the line shit and get i've blown away a hand full of crotchrockets , my brothers built 09 street glide and all kinds of metrics i can pull the front wheel off the ground with a ten over front end just thought that might help give a lil nsite to luggin possibilities

·
Registered
685 Posts
my 77 xlh im running a 51 rear 23 front and a tall 18" rear tire no probs. going anywhere she sits a lot nowdays since i got the 883 low but it would knock off 300 mile days pretty easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts