Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Large Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken real good care of the bags on our Heritage.They still look fairly new.I installed "Got Saggy Bags"plastic kit and it works pretty good.The tops are flat now and I'm making some aluminum pieces to glue in place of the plastic w some thin boxes for paperwork and the such.I'm gonna bang on it a little to achive the factory rounded look on top.
The parts I cant keep decent are the straps and the loops they fit into.The straps are curling and the loops are shruken.I use lexal but they still shrunk.
I have looked all around for 2 inch wide x 21/2 tall belt tips to no avail.One night while BSing w a buddy he drew a pic of what I wanted.I'd forgotten about the pics untill the other day when he brought me 4 custom aluminum belt tips.3 of the loops have shrunk so that they wont fit.I've been forcing the tips in while soaking the loops liberally w Lexal and they are resizing.I'll weld some threaded round stock on the back side and use headless nuts to secure them to the straps,then polish them.
:ride

Attachments

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
TC-88... Can relate and keep us posted. It is common to Heritage owners. Had an '02 Heritage for almost five years and know how nice the bags can look if taken care off. Must admit my approach was c h e a p :)...

Once saw a post from someone noting how 99 cent Wal*Mart beach balls partially inflated and kept in the bags until the space was needed worked great. It is what I did and you know, would probably do it again. Bags kept their shape well over the years.

I had woes with the straps on my left side bag over time... the loops opened up and the front leather strap would be blown out of the loop by the wind. Didn't like the appearance of it flapping around on a ride. So, bought some velcro and put a black strip on the strap, the other on the inside of the loop. Couldn't see it and no more problem. As noted, cheap 99 cent beach balls and velcro. Ha!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts