Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2Harleys
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is only about 1 yr old. now all of a sudden my selinoid just clicks when i push starter botton. I have charged batt. over nite and it is showing 13volts , and when I hook a jump start to it it cranks right over. I have recently replaced ing. switch which did work geat for some time. then I started haveing this problem. any suggestions??

·
Asylum Inmate
11,742 Posts
Cable from Batt to hot side of the solenoid tight?

You can run a jumper from the batt to the solenoid direct to see if the control line is not carrying enough current to pull the solenoid tight?

Several years back had a battery with an internal problem that would not allow current to flow, turn out the terminal connection on the inside of the battery had a crack in it causing limited current to flow. It would start with a jump but not without it, always measured correct voltage.

Put a voltmeter on the hot side of the solenoid and see what the voltage is when you hit the start button. Not the control line, but the high current feed from the battery.

·
Banned
71 Posts
My battery is only about 1 yr old. now all of a sudden my selinoid just clicks when i push starter botton. I have charged batt. over nite and it is showing 13volts , and when I hook a jump start to it it cranks right over. I have recently replaced ing. switch which did work geat for some time. then I started haveing this problem. any suggestions??
Pull your battery and have it load tested at the local auto parts store for free before you do anything else . If it tests out fine, then go through all of your load carrying connections and make sure they are clean and tight .

I'm betting on a bad battery .

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
How are you measuring the battery, voltmeter or the meter on the charger ?
Measure battery volts 15 minutes after disconnecting the charger, it'll give the battery time to stabilize. A fully charged and stabilized battery should read no less than 12.8 volts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts