Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to Harley. Thinking about getting a 2013 Heritage Softail. How comfortable are the softails for long distance riding?

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Im new to Harley. Thinking about getting a 2013 Heritage Softail. How comfortable are the softails for long distance riding?
You've no doubt heard that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or something like that. Well, "comfort" on a bike is similar. What may be comfortable for one person may be a torture chamber for someone else. But, generally, the seat and the bars can make or break the comfort factor. Lots of folks change out their bars, some change out the seats, some do both, yadi, yadi, yadi; You might want to try sitting on some other Heritage bikes where someone has changed bars and/or seats. Get someone at a dealer to discuss "fitment" with you on some showroom bikes. If that Heritage is not already comfortable for you it can certainly be altered.

I ride a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. The stock bars are good for me--but I changed seats and also lowered my shift levers and now this bike fits me like a glove.

Others may chime in with suggestions and tips. Let us know how it goes for you on the Heritage.

·
Road Junkie
1,852 Posts
Welcome from East Texas, Elaine.

My first Harley was a Heritage Softail Classic - nice bike.

Based on the name, I'm presuming you are female and will be the primary rider. I think you will find the Heritage Softail to be a very comfortable ride when riding solo, even with a light to mid-weight load when travelling long-distance. It has a low seat height, which allows for more secure footing when stopped, and you can easily customize the wind screen, handlebars, and seat to comfort. Forward lighting is good (better with LEDs), but the rear lighting is a little skimpy. Recommend installing the kit to turn the rear turn signals into brake and turn signals, and converting all rear lights into LEDs.

My only complaint on the Softail line with the Twin Cam engine is the counter-balanced engine. It provides low vibration at idle (i.e., at a stop light), but has an annoying (to me) slight vibration at 68-72 mph, so I tended to speed a little to get above it.

One person's view. Yours may vary.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
IMO before buying any vehicle you need some seat of the pants time to determine if ya fit the vehicle. An old used car salesman (thiefs) told me a long time ago "there's an ass for every seat" ! I have found that to be true as hell.
A Softail for long distance riding will be fine as long as you outfit the bike to fit your needs. I've seen Softails rigged up as full dressers close to a FLHTC ! Comfort wise the Softail sits lower than a FLHTC so you can plant your feet flat to the pavement when stopped, that's a bonus. Same power as the rest of the touring bikes.
Lastly, test ride and check the bike's maintenance records. Then pick up a P&A catalog from the local H-D dealer to figure out how much more $$$ you're gonna spend on your new (to you) Softail to fit you !

·
Registered
538 Posts
Welcome from East Texas, Elaine.

My first Harley was a Heritage Softail Classic - nice bike. Snip-snip

My only complaint on the Softail line with the Twin Cam engine is the counter-balanced engine. It provides low vibration at idle (i.e., at a stop light), but has an annoying (to me) slight vibration at 68-72 mph, so I tended to speed a little to get above it.

One person's view. Yours may vary.
I ride a Ultra twin cam, I never noticed this vibration but, now I'm going to be looking for it...o_O

·
Road Junkie
1,852 Posts
I ride a Ultra twin cam, I never noticed this vibration but, now I'm going to be looking for it...o_O
You won't notice because your Ultra engine is not a counter-balanced engine.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Lots of folks here that will help you spend your money on seats, windshields, and all the other great accessories you need/want. Make sure to show us pictures if you make a purchase! Good Luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Elaine; You didn't say "which" Heritage Softail you are considering. There are two models, the Classic and the Deluxe. Not a lot of difference, but the Deluxe is a favorite among women. Read up on them.

1/2 Ton; There are a few subtle differences between "Twin Cams" The counterbalancers in the "B" engine being the biggest. The engine trans mounting is also different. The easy way to tell a B engine is the oil tank is below the rider's right thigh. A oil tanks are hidden below the transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts