Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Heritage (2012) for 35 months and it always hesitates for 1 or 2 cranks then fires. Does better on subsequent starts during the day. I thought it had something to do with the auto spark retard/advance and it was normal for all the bikes.

Two days ago it would not hold enough charge to start after unplugging the tender for less than 20 hrs. It did start right up after a 2 hour charge on the tender. Today, it would not start again (off the tender for 48 hrs) so I plugged it back in.

I will be replacing with a Big Crank ETX20L from Battery Mart - a perfect fit according to dimensions.

During my search in the reviews, I found another guy with a Heritage (all the softails have the same bat) had the same hesitation on the first crank. He reports not having that problem anymore with the new bat (which has more cranking power 310CCA than OEM).

My question is do you guys start with conviction with a good spin on the first crank or do you have this hesitation (like a partially dead bat) on the first crank.????

I'm expecting a good initial spin on first cranks when I change the bat hopefully on Sat. will report back.

I may have had a weak cell from day one. (I hope)

This is my first bike with electric start.

thanks for you input,
Joe

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,531 Posts
I have a similar problem with mine. Battery is closing in on 3 years old and I need to have it load tested which you should also do. A weak battery will produce the symptoms you describe. They just don't seem to make them like they used to.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I would get old battery checked out of curiosity. Mine would do it occasionally when new first start of the day, then it just went away. The battery ground connection is bolted to painted section of frame. I removed paint for a metal to metal connection. That made a difference in starting, cranked over quicker. Now I worry about how much longer it will last, 5 years old.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine will do the same thing too. 94 ultra. If it has a fresh batt. its not as bad. I've got to think the starter is pulling a little more juice that it should. Original. 120,000 mi. If I have not ridden it for a week or more it won't fire till I let go of the starter button. Voltage to low to fire ignition.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
No need to have battery checked. You know it's bad. You unhook it from tender for a day or so, and it won't start. Bad battery. When you install the new one, first; follow all pre-install instructions, then after installing your new, fully charged battery, test and confirm charging system.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Mine has done that since I've owned it, fresh battery too. Battery is now 3 years old, bike has close to 25K on the clock, still does it once in a while. All depends on how long its sat. When experiencing battery problems, always check your tender I had one go bad, killed a battery on me.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Same here. With the motor in the bike and the one in me too. :D

--

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has done that since I've owned it, fresh battery too. Battery is now 3 years old, bike has close to 25K on the clock, still does it once in a while. All depends on how long its sat. When experiencing battery problems, always check your tender I had one go bad, killed a battery on me.

How does one know if the tender is bad?
Mine shows the appropriate lights depending on

not connected blinking red
charging solid red
full charge green

and it's warm to the touch

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Hmm yea how do you check it? Could hook up multimeter check for amps & voltage? Have you ever checked for a voltage draw after bike is shut down?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,531 Posts
Just had a discussion with a friend whose softail had the same problem. Long hesitation at first start and then it'd spin up fine. He traced the battery ground wire to where it bolts to the frame, cleaned it good and tightened the nut holding it in place. Saved him the cost of the new battery he was going to buy. Starts perfectly as of this AM using same battery uncharged that was involved with the problem.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just had a discussion with a friend whose softail had the same problem. Long hesitation at first start and then it'd spin up fine. He traced the battery ground wire to where it bolts to the frame, cleaned it good and tightened the nut holding it in place. Saved him the cost of the new battery he was going to buy. Starts perfectly as of this AM using same battery uncharged that was involved with the problem.
That makes sense and seems (intuitively) right on the mark.

My battery is definitely bad as it wont hold a charge anymore, but I will check the terminal where it attaches to the frame.

A reluctant starter motor pulling a high draw at first also comes to mind. Not much else I can think of unless you guys have had other experiences.

As always, thanks for your input.

Joe

·
Asylum Inmate
11,839 Posts
I have a similar problem with mine. Battery is closing in on 3 years old and I need to have it load tested which you should also do. A weak battery will produce the symptoms you describe. They just don't seem to make them like they used to.

Just would like to point out an old service station practice used to sell batteries. They would throw the load tester on the battery without charging it first. Knowing that a bad ground will cause a battery to fail a load test because the charging system in the vehicle cannot charge correctly with bad grounds. Then sell you a battery and clean the grounds up on install of the new battery.

Pull grounds, all three, and charge a betters before load testing.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,531 Posts
Good tip. On it!

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Check your ground is not going to painted surface of your frame, makes a difference, remove said paint

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just looking at a file I could use if need be.

Battery will be here tomorrow or Monday. Hope to install Sat afternoon after work.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Battery arrived yesterday and put it on today. Easier than I thought it would be. No corrosion at either terminal. Ground cable tight. Started right up. Rode for awhile. 2 stops and it started up normally each time.

Tender had it up to a full charge within 30 min. Will start, shut it off, leave the tender off all day and then see how it starts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts