Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1847 Posts

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be helpful or at least interesting to start a thread that might allow Liberals and Conservatives to understand each other. The rules are simple. No name calling, bashing, or other disrespectful outbursts, etc. If you want to make a point, back it up with facts and links to your sources. If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all. Just read the posts and kick your tires if you have to let off some steam.

So, let me try this out.

John Lewis versus Donald Trump

John Lewis, in an interview with NBC "Meet The Press" stated that he did not view Donald Trump as the legitimate president. He cited that he believed there was a conspiracy with the Russians to undermine Clinton's campaign and that they helped Mr. Trump get elected. "I don’t see this president-elect as a legitimate president. . . . I think the Russians participated in helping this man get elected. And they helped destroy the candidacy of*Hillary Clinton"

Donald Trump tweeted, "Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk – no action or results. Sad!"

As we know the back lash was all directed at Mr. Trump. People accused him of picking on a civil rights icon, and more.

Here are my thoughts on this exchange.

1. John Lewis was disrespectful to the President elect for saying he was planning to boycott the inauguration and that he deemed him illegitimate. I don't think at this time it is proven, but there seems to be consensus that most people believe that the Russians hacked the DNC emails and leaked emails that showed Hillary Clinton was cheating during the debates by getting the debate questions in advance. That happens to be illegal and completely unethical.

It astounds me that the Democrats want to focus on Russians leaking emails that hurt Clinton but there is no mention that Clinton cheated Sanders during the primaries. Lewis thinks it is unfair to Clinton that the Russians exposed that she cheated to get to the Democratic nomination. I find that laughable.

2. After being attacked via main stream media, Mr. Trump fired back via Twitter. So, what did he say to get every Liberal steaming mad? He said that John Lewis should spend more time doing his job, not complain about election results, and that he was all talk and no action. So, is it a fair statement?

John Lewis represents the 5th congressional district of Georgia and has done so for 30 years. That district is made up of 75% of Atlanta and a few surrounding suburbs. It comprises of 692,000 people of which 340,000 are in Atlanta. Statistics show that the 5th district unemployment rate is about 3% higher than the state average, poverty is 4.5% higher than state average, and median income is $1,600 per year less than state average. Okay, not horrible performance. Atlanta is the capitol of Georgia so I would expect it to lead the state, but that is subjective. As far as being a dangerous place to live, the FBI lists Atlanta as the 14th most violent city in the U.S. with 1,120 violent crimes per 100,000 people. Lewis was first elected in 1986 and as you can see from the chart below, the first 7 years violent crime rose and then there has been a steady decline ever since.

3. Personally, this exchange should not have happened and it does not look good for either man. Lewis started it and Trump took the heat for it. I think Lewis intentionally started this chit storm on the eve of MLK day to further stir up a racial divide. By and large the Democrats boycotted the inauguration. This further exacerbated the divide.

4. I would like to see Mr. Trump turn his Twitter account over to his Press Secretary, Chief Counsel, or his daughter.

Okay guys. Let's try to keep this one from going off the rails and I think would could have a very enlightening exchange of ideas and opinions.

Attachments

·
Wayward Son
23,288 Posts
:popcorn :bat
Ok. Carry on.

But be aware. This thread is just one wrong word/post from being :locked:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Liberals and conservatives understanding each other is an interesting concept Sarah but you might be asking the bull and the bullfighter, the Alien and the Predator to understand each other. Some liberal concepts, just to name a few, that I probably would never be able to understand no matter the debate;

Wealth distribution
Government control
Government size
White privilege
Affirmative action
Political correctness
Gun control
Abortion

Abortion is a weird one for me, I am neither pro or con. I believe the common use of abortion as a form of birth control is verging on evil. Oops, messed around, had unprotected and got knocked up. No problem to the clinic I go, again. This type of thinking/attitude is unconscionable to me. Ultimately I think its up to each person to make that type of decision. Some decisions live with you for ever and will have to be carried. Some one other than me will have to make judgements.

It will be interesting to see where this conversation will go. And how long it will go!

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,224 Posts
Reactions: Manduhlyn

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liberals and conservatives understanding each other is an interesting concept Sarah but you might be asking the bull and the bullfighter, the Alien and the Predator to understand each other. Some liberal concepts, just to name a few, that I probably would never be able to understand no matter the debate;

Wealth distribution
Government control
Government size
White privilege
Affirmative action
Political correctness
Gun control
Abortion

Abortion is a weird one for me, I am neither pro or con. I believe the common use of abortion as a form of birth control is verging on evil. Oops, messed around, had unprotected and got knocked up. No problem to the clinic I go, again. This type of thinking/attitude is unconscionable to me. Ultimately I think its up to each person to make that type of decision. Some decisions live with you for ever and will have to be carried. Some one other than me will have to make judgements.

It will be interesting to see where this conversation will go. And how long it will go!
Perhaps you're right. Abortion is also a difficult one for me to articulate. I don't think I could abort a pregnancy myself, BUT, if I were raped and got pregnant it might change my perception radically. I understand that. I'm beyond child bearing years now so if I get raped I'll have to settle for killing the basturd, slowly, methodically, and in the most gruesome manner I can think of.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something I've been dwelling on is how the Democrat party and philosophy has changed in my lifetime. In my formative years being a Democrat was John F. Kennedy. So, that was my center growing up. My stepdad is still a die hard Democrat and will only vote Democrat and refuses to get enlightened on what that means really. He is pro Constitution, pro Second Amendment, anti government, anti regulation, anti abortion, and so on. His thoughts and actions are Republican all the way but in his mind he is a Democrat. As a young adult I voted Democrat until Bill Clinton. I voted for Perot and then Republican after that.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,224 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Reagan/Carter was around the time the shift happened...where Democrats became the way they are now...

I believe when Perry was running, people would bring up that he was a Democrat, but would be corrected by saying he was a 'Reagan Democrat'...

Which is why I typically just try to stick with 'Liberal' and 'Conservative', except when I speak of Libertarians, which are the only true 'Conservatives' in my mind...

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,350 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Reagan/Carter was around the time the shift happened...where Democrats became the way they are now...

I believe when Perry was running, people would bring up that he was a Democrat, but would be corrected by saying he was a 'Reagan Democrat'...
Actually, I suspect the change began in earnest with LBJ who oversaw the escalation of the Vietnam War. When I turned 21, I registered to vote in New Orleans. You either registered and voted Democrat in those days or you didn't vote at all. The Republicans began to emerge in the "Solid South" around 1967, and the entire political party landscape began a very deliberate shift. I suspect Carter kicked it all the way around and Regan solidified the shift. I've heard many times the statement that "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left me".

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've heard many people over the years argue that abortion should be allowed in rape cases. I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I'm definitely torn on the subject. My two best friends in the world were adopted and i have a 6yr old adopted son. One friend was born to an addict and given up for adoption. My life wouldn't be the same without him. My wife was born to a rape victim. What if her birth mother aborted her? My wife is the reason I'm who I am. Without her I would be dead or locked up. We met and dated in high school and then we stayed friends, we loved each other but some how didn't end up together until a few years ago. I don't want to live without her in my life. What I'm trying to say is, abortion affects more than just the mother and child.

·
Registered
38,887 Posts
"I didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left me".
We wanted to find out whether the late Republican icon Ronald Reagan was actually a registered Democrat, or whether he was an ideological one.

We turned to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation & Library, in Simi Valley, Calif. The library's Web site notes Reagan registered as a Republican in the fall of 1962, after stumping for Richard Nixon as a Democrat.

It tells the story of Reagan making a speech at a Democrats for Nixon event and being interrupted and asked if he had registered as a Republican. He responded no. That's when "down the center aisle through the audience came a woman who declared I'm a registrar and placed a registration card in front of him. In front of his audience, Ronald Reagan officially joined the Republican Party,'' according to Web site.

Melissa Giller, director of communications and programs at the Reagan library, explained more in an e-mail to PolitiFact Florida.

"Yes, this is true. He switched to Republican in 1962,'' Giller wrote, noting a quote in which Reagan complained, "I didn't leave the Democratic Party. The party left me.''
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2010/mar/30/charlie-crist/crist-says-reagan-was-democrat-converting-gop/

1962, right there in front of a building full of Dumocrats. :nod

And they STILL don't get it.

Also note that Trump was formerly a Dumocrat.

Reactions: Motive

·
American
26,703 Posts
I have nothing good to say about Lewis or the dumocrap party ...... so I won't say anything!

Edit: Actually I do have something to say...... IMO Abortion is not a political issue, but a moral one.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
^^^ whatever you feel is relevant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wayward Son
23,288 Posts
Am thinking the "fact" part is what is throwing a curve for the libs.
Why they are so quiet here.
While resorting to violence out there in the real world.

But to clarify. That is an opinion. Based only on my observations here as well as out there in the real world.

·
Banned
592 Posts
Abortion is a weird one for me, I am neither pro or con. I believe the common use of abortion as a form of birth control is verging on evil.
FYI, yes a small percentage of ignorant females have multiple abortions but it is not a common method of birth control. The decision is not taken lightly by most of the women.

·
Banned
592 Posts
Am thinking the "fact" part is what is throwing a curve for the libs.
Why they are so quiet here.
While resorting to violence out there in the real world.
But to clarify. That is an opinion. Based only on my observations here as well as out there in the real world.
Based on my observations, both ultra-left and ultra-right prefer alternative facts. Those of us in the broad middle seek real facts without prejudice.

1 - 20 of 1847 Posts