Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's your foot/leg dude? I'm going on 3 years recovery from a ruptured achilles tendon and I still have a bit of hitch in my giddy-up.

Did you ever figure out what the deal was with your frame tweakage?

I suppose I could go search all this out, but then again I am ADD.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
My left foot/ankle mended fine, thanks for asking, right hand/wrist too.
I can even get my foot back into the same type of pull-on boots w/o much trouble, and what little difficulty I do have seems to be caused by the added girth of the ankle with the hardware. No limp, no ouches on stairs, no stiffness in the normal range of motion, but if I tried to twist around like some yoga postures I think I might see some limits. The skin right over the metal strut feels tight, and has just the slightest odd texture, like it's trying to toughen up from the underside.

(Nathang trivia: I once got a 1099 payroll statement as a yoga instructor :D)

I still haven't ridden the V-Rod more than just a test drive to get fuel, although that is more due to the conspicuity lighting project than the engine fitting funny in the frame, and the rear wheel alignment being suspect.

A month ago I was ready to get it back on the road w/o messing with the lighting, and just then realized that the headlight had been damaged more than I thought. Being bottom mounted, taking a whack had fractured the metal around the mount, so I had to order a replacement, and went ahead messing with the conspicuity lighting project while I waited for the replacement to arrive.

I realized I've got so much vacation time accrued, they won't credit me with any more, so I'm off today and tomorrow, plus the Monday holiday. As Bullwinkle used to say "This time for SURE!" I'll have it finished by Tuesday.

The maintenance chore on the farm/ranch/park property I am slave to had been unusually forgiving this year, just last weekend was the first time I'd had to mow the pasture in many weeks, may be almost 2 months, where last year it was something like a 16 hr job more than 2x a month. I didn't quite get thru it last weekend, I disabled 2 tractor/mowers and have to dedicate part of my holiday to repairs and finishing the mowing, but since the LowRider has suddenly become unreliable, I need to get the V-Rod back online pronto.

My LowRider seems to have developed some manner of intermittent in the switch cluster that includes the start and kill switch. At first it seemed to be the starter switch failing to engage, although since now it has died in traffic twice, just turned itself off dead, I think that original symptom with the starter might have been the kill switch too. Until I get that switch replaced, I need the V-Rod back badly.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
How's your foot/leg dude? I'm going on 3 years recovery from a ruptured achilles tendon and I still have a bit of hitch in my giddy-up...
:eek: Reminds when Calvin Natt of the Denver Nuggets about 15 years ago was driving for a layup at the beginning of a game and his achilles tendon snappped. The sports page writers wrote it sounded like a rifle going off.

And Nathan... good to hear the ranch work went OK. I can relate to huge mowing jobs. That boots can fit. And yes, get that V-Rod back.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Spent part of the morning figuring out where to get the $65 mower drive belt, I logged it down in tall grass last weekend and when it changed from UNGA-UNGA-UNGA to WHIZZZZZZ I figured I'd broken the belt.... again! Decided I'd better take the broken belt to be sure I got the same thing, turns out it isn't broken, just jumped the track, so now I'm off at 2pm to mow till dark. And that's cutting a 6 foot path at a faster than walking speed.

Here's my mowers, both 30hp diesels, 4 wheel drive, both cut a 6 foot path.. the front deck mower is much nicer, hydro-drive, but with the short wheel base and smaller wheels, on the bumpy field it beats me to death when I go fast. It's essential for cutting around the trees, and since my son likes it better, I leave it for him, when he can help. The tractor with the front loader, besides the much larger diameter wheels, with about 400 lbs in the bucket extended way out front, it has a slow rolling reaction to the bumps, save a lot of wear and tear on the prostate.

First time a weekend of mowing beat my ass so hard I could't sit down or pee, I figured my motorcycle riding was at serious risk, so I had to either change the procedure or buy a lot of herbicide.

These are not my specific machines, I'm so bad about organizing my files, it's easier to google representative pix than find mine.

Attachments

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't be easier to rent it out to people wanting to spring/summer graze their livestock?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
One guy does lease about 27 acres for crops, usually corn, and the part I mow isn't separated from the part he plows. I could put cattle on the place, but I would need to put in a mile of fence.

And then there's the flies that come with livestock.
I've just about seen all the flies I care to see.

At the place we moved from 2 years ago, where lived since 1981, the place the developers decided they needed REALLY bad.... we lived 3/4 of a mile from 7 to 10 million chickens.

Not very many people can claim to know 1st hand what "biblical" means as refers to flies.
I've seen flies so thick they looked like ground fog.
I put up 4 strands of electric fence wire in a 4 corner pattern on the ceiling of my garage,
it killed so many flies they made a path a foot wide and an inch deep under the wire.
In three hours.

I used to have a 1 ton Ford van.
The flies liked to congregate inside a vehicle with the door open.
I was going to town, for some reason I'd left the sliding door open for 5 minutes, and so help me, there were 100,000 flies in the van, I drove it to town, joking to myself that I'd let these out in town.

I pulled into a parking place at HomeDepot, and slid the big side door open. I waved a towel around furiously trying to shoo most of/ some of the flies out. It wasn't working. I probably tried for 2 minutes, before I turned around, eyes front.

About 4 feet in front of me sat another short nosed van, which had pulled up while I was distracted by the flies. There were two women in the front seat, they both had priceless looks of horror, eyes the size of poker chips, had their hands over their mouths, stifling a gasp I guess. They had been watching me try to heard 100,000 flies.
I'll bet they thought they were going to see me eaten alive.

And that's what you call "Biblical" as pertains to flies.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sheep....then you have a different date every night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts