Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Wipe a freshly bored cylinder down with a shop rag and you will see all the trash it leaves behind.
Ok, but were talking the exterior of a bike not the interior of an engine. If the rag leaves some stuff behind ob the frame it isn't gonna kill anything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My point was the OP wiped the interior surface of the oil filter as well as the dipstick and commented on all the lint left behind. Shop rags need to be delegated to wiping floors and nothing more...just having them available invites use.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
My point was the OP wiped the interior surface of the oil filter as well as the dipstick and commented on all the lint left behind. Shop rags need to be delegated to wiping floors and nothing more...just having them available invites use.
Touche,...

I didn't watch the whole video.

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
Excellent video, excellent additional comments, thanks for sharing and saving a fellow some money, goodonya all!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks

I'm a first time Harley owner and was really worried I was gonna screw up my oil change! I almost went to the dealer and forked out almost 200 smackers until I saw this video. After seeing it I went to my local dealer, got 3 quarts of 20-W50 a chrome filter, went home and did my oil change. It was easier than changing the oil in my truck! It took me about 20 minutes! Thanks !

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey thanks for the video! Just bought my first HD! Was on a quick ride and engine light came on also oil light! I have had a problem 1 time before with some kind of sensor connection, after washed it bike wouldn't start! ! simply pushed connection together and it started now this! Any help would be most appreciated! Been so ready for some riding and its been a long long winter!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice video! One question, why do you add oil into the new oil filter before installing it? I would think if you installed it dry, once you start the motor....the oil pump would fill it. Then you would just need to top of the oil like normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good video! Anyone happen to know the oil capacity on an older 883? Mine is a '90. My first bike and I like to do my own oil changes instead of paying someone to do it for me.

·
Registered
38,503 Posts
Nice video! One question, why do you add oil into the new oil filter before installing it? I would think if you installed it dry, once you start the motor....the oil pump would fill it. Then you would just need to top of the oil like normal.
That is true, the oil pump will eventually fill up the filter.

But in the mean time there is no oil getting pumped up to the rest of the motor until the filter gets filled up.

So by putting oil in the filter before installation, oil gets to where it needs to be quicker.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts