Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had some spare time on my hands and decided to install an HID kit I bought a while back on my 04 RoadGlide.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unlike every other Harley, the RoadGlide has a pair, H4 lights so one kit provides everything.
You only have to tap off one power wire and attach a couple of ground lugs. Everything else is Plug and Pray.
The second photo shows the size differenced on the bulbs.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was pretty lucky as I had my old headlight assembly still. Last year I changed it out for the European reflector assembly. It gives off a more focused light pattern.:mwink
The second shot is the rubber seal that I though needed cutting. Later on, I found out that the bulb assemblies come apart and there was no need to cut it to fit it on.:eek:
Good thing I had extra ones from the spare headlight. :) There´s only a handfull of RoadGlides in Mexico. Finding parts like this here is impossible.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And now for the victim.
My 2004 FLTRI.:cool:

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She don´t look near as sexy with her knickers off.:lol8
(Don´t forget to disconnect the battery.)
I took off the bags just to gain working space as my garage is kinda cramped.:nod

Attachments

·
Registered
40,772 Posts
She don´t look near as sexy with her knickers off doe´s she.:lol8
Better to take the knickers off, than to get your knickers knackered.

Nothing worse than knackered knickers. :lol8

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the difference between the US and European reflectors.
(The difference that I have been told anyway.)
The European has a little deflector inside which trims off the top of the light path. This supposedly allows for a longer light pattern that travels farther.
You can see the deflector in the first photo. It is in the top of the reflector and has two ¨arms¨ that go toward the center and look to be riveted on.
And it also has this little light in between the 2 reflectors. I think this is for the countries that do not have laws about the headlight being on all the time.;)

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About this time my Buddy showed up to give me a hand so the photos are a little sparse.
There is a lot of room for the ballasts inside the fairing on the RoadGlide.
He said because of this, it was a lot easier than doing the install on his Ultra.
Later we learned different.:lol8
Anyway, here´s the ballasts installed on each side. We fastened them with double side tape. Look Ma! No holes!:thumb

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting everything back together was a little more complicated.
Seem like, over the years my RoadGlide had developed a little ¨wiring harness sag¨.:eek:
We put the outer fairing on and then had trouble fitting the light assembly in.
The larger HID bases kept hitting the wiring harness and would not enter.:mad:
We took it apart about 3 times moving parts of the harness etc.
Finally, we went in and took off all the former wire ties and redid it all.:faint
The lights fit in with plenty of clearance now and everything works great.:thumb

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it together about dusk. Took a little spin with it and really am pleased with the results.:thumb
In the last shot, you can see the little light that comes with the European headlight assy. I am going to change it out for a bluer bulb as it really sticks out now.
Good example of the differences between the two types of lights.

Attachments

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
[my garage is kinda cramped.[/QUOTE]]

Yes but,but, it's got ceramic tile !:notw: :D but seriously,thanxs for the very helpfull info& pics,i was considering the same thing after i saw a dude go by with em on. they really stand out & look cool too! :thumb

·
Registered
2 Posts
HID conversion

Good install picts! So does the HID go in one side and the H4 in the other? or is there 2 HID bulbs?
Can you put 2 HID bulbs in there?

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dummy , I see the two blubs in the photo now.Sorry.
Are the high beams much different than the lows?
The low beams will almost blind you but the high beams will skin a cat.:lol8

Nah..seriously, its just different. Its a whiter light that lets you see more of the road in front of you.:thumb

Highly recommended and I installed them to be more noticeable. I almost never drive at night. It scares the heck out of me down here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts