Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I wanted to get rid of my ignition switch, and replace it with two toggle sitches. The first toggle switch would be for the ground wires, the second for the positive wire.

My idea was that without both switches on, the bike won't run. It sort of gives me a failsafe so the bike couldn't be started unless someone knew where both switches were.

I thought about putting them under the seat, but sine I have two different seats (solo and dual), each with different profiles, I saw that it wouldn't work.

Then I thought about locating the switches under the headlamp bracket.

I spent about 4 hours making the bracket out of aluminum stock. It is a very tight fit and the bracket is not completely symmetric underneath.

The switches cannot be seen unless you are really close to the headlamp. They are virtually invisible and have to be located by feel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Why did you want to get rid of the ignition switch?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I was thinking about hiding a kill switch someplace but not replacing the ignition switch. Just making it so the ignition was disabled without locking the switch all the time.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I guess that's a unique idea and all but you could have just relocated it putting tucked inside between the rear cylinder and the battery box. That kit is available for super cheap through dk customs and I love mine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Seems like a pretty good idea for anti-theft, maybe.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Where those switches are now located, will you have to worry about water getting in them or corrosion?
Had that same thought. But they do appear to be an automotive grade\weather resistant type. :dunno

As far as a theft deterrent...... :nah
Most bikes are not hot wired and ridden away. They are loaded into the back of a pick-up or van and driven away to be stripped for parts later.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where those switches are now located, will you have to worry about water getting in them or corrosion?
I don't ride in inclement weather, and the humidity is very low where I live. I don't expect to see any water where they are. I have them sealed up pretty well.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
I don't ride in inclement weather, and the humidity is very low where I live. I don't expect to see any water where they are. I have them sealed up pretty well.
Sooner or later you will get caught in rain........:)

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
As long as you are so sure of yourself, could you please PM me the winning lottery numbers for this week please?
LOL if knew that the phone would be yanked out of the wall and see you all in 6 months. may be...! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was thinking about hiding a kill switch someplace but not replacing the ignition switch. Just making it so the ignition was disabled without locking the switch all the time.
All the bikes already have that & it has fooled me on more than one occasion. One time I went to see a 4th of July fireworks show & when I tried to start my bike no joy. I was on a good hill & bump stating didn't work either. I called my wife to pick me up & took the battery with me to charge it. The next day still no joy. Just as I was about to call a tow truck I happened to see the kill switch. :banghead

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
All the bikes already have that & it has fooled me on more than one occasion. One time I went to see a 4th of July fireworks show & when I tried to start my bike no joy. I was on a good hill & bump stating didn't work either. I called my wife to pick me up & took the battery with me to charge it. The next day still no joy. Just as I was about to call a tow truck I happened to see the kill switch. :banghead
Just where is this hidden kill switch?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts