Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is cleaning a high flow air filter as easy as it sounds? 1. Take off. 2. Rinse. 3. Put back on.
How often do you do it, or need to check?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pretty much...I do mine every winter. Wash it gently with something to loosen the dirt and oil. I use dish washer stuff. Rinse good and let dry. Spray with correct oil. Can only costs a few bucks and lasts a long time. After the oil soaks for s while, wipe off the excess. Done for the year.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Its a PIA as far as I'm concerned ! I'd rather just buy another filter . They shouldn't get that dirty in one year . Besides the dirtier they get the better they work . A dirty K&N will still flow better than a stock filter and as they clog-up the better they protect your engine . LOL

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I've cleaned mine twice in 26k miles. It wasn't dirty either time.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
^ (at TS, I type too slow) And your mileage. I know mine after 10K miles in one year was really nasty. I think riding in the rain made it way worse. I certainly won't go past 10K miles without rinsing it out. I do agree that 5K is a better idea.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish some of you lived in my neighborhood.. I found out I have the high flow stage 1 type which is not recommended to oil, just rinse/ wash with mild soap. I took off the mail screw easily. When I got to the other 3.. 1 came out easily but I got it off center and it spins, but is stuck in place. Screw 2, I tightens easy , but won't come out. Screw 3 is like frozen/ almost stripped and I can't get out. I'll give one more try and if no luck time to dust off trailer and off to dealer. At least no immediate hurry or missing ride time in NJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts