Harley Davidson Forums banner

high pitched engine noise

16K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ODDBALLGKMMC 
#1 ·
i have a 99 heritage with screaming heads and high comp. pistons. when i put a load on the engine theres a high pitched noise . it doesn't sound like a knock, its more like a squeel. it happens in 3rd., 4th., and 5th. gears. any body have an answer? it has 42,000 miles and the guy i got it from had just done the 40,000 mile service at a harley dealer. they rebuilt the tranny, new comp. sprocket, stator, and went through the whole bike. please help. dick

#4 ·
Do you know if the cam bearing (outer) and cam plate upgrade was done? 1999 is a one-year only design with a high failure rate.....

#5 ·
My couple of guesses on the high pitched engine squeal ... connecting rod bearings , piston pin retainer came loose and the pin is scraping the cylinder wall , broken piston ring .
Yet the OP says it only makes the noise in 3rd , 4th and 5th gears !!! The things I mentioned would make noise in any gear ! Soooooo ... maybe the trans throwout bearing is going bad or the 5th gear needle bearings .

#6 ·
Wheel bearings! It's only in the top gears that the wheel is rotating fast enough to make the noise. The chit is that the noise goes away when you slow down ... LoL

I had the same symptom when my rear bearing set went!

Sent from my FXR powered iPad

#9 ·
June 9th, one-post wonder with no answer to the problem, or what it was. Was last signed in July 12th.

Gotta love it....

#11 ·
His name says it all. Conversation could have been good. Possibly it was the last of the Evos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
If it were an Evo, I'd suggest inner cam bearing (INA) failure....

#13 ·
Whine

Developed a whine at 70 km/hr. Starts at 60, peaks at 70, goes away at 80. Starts again at 95, worst at 100, goes away at 105.

Engine running or not. Shut engine off at 85, same whine slowing down thru 70 to 60.
In all gears, brake on brake off.
Changed front tire. Same issue.
Removed a bunch of parts that could be vibrating. Same issue.
Took helmet off, worse now.
Straight road or twisties, no change in whine.
Seems to come from front half of bike.

Anybody with similar annoying whine?

Reply direct if you wish, dutch@wiredboat.com.

#15 ·
2004 Softail Heritage Classic
Hello, I have just developed a high pitch noise which is louder than my pipes (Reinhardt). It increases and lowers in pitch with higher or lower rpm. It is present in neutral parked. When I kill the engine it seems to sputter and then goes clunkily-clunk. I just had all 3 oils replaced and a new set of tires installed. It does not seem to be associated with any loss of power to the rear wheel. Was fine all day, until it wasn't. Any ideas? Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.