Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Road King Classic upgraded with a 95" long block from Harley.
Mileage 215,000 on bike. 12,000 miles on long block.
New long block came with upgraded cam plate and high volume oil pump.
Original oil pump install required some degree of competence with special "locating pins" and while someone is rotating the engine for oil pump alignment it is gingerly torqued to specs.
'Rumor has it, I will not say where I heard it, this procedure is not necessary with the new upgraded oil pump. Is this true?
Also rumored there is a newer super upgraded oil pump over and above the original one supplied as part of the cam plate kit. Is there any truth to this rumor?
'
'
The reason for these questions is that I am having problems with the current oil pump and getting lifter rattle when the bike is cold. So I am having, a new to me, Indy rework the cam chest replacing cam bearings, lifters plus anything else that looks suspect in the cam chest including replacing the oil pump, tension pads etc etc.
'
Is there anything else I should consider while the cam chest is open?
'
The long block is still under warranty and I took it back for review and Harley said there is nothing wrong, operation is normal. Even if they had replaced parts I would get Harley quality, which according to forum members aren't worth a diddly.
I ride about 30K miles per year and I want to keep breakdowns to a minimum.
'
This past year has been one disaster after another resulting ultimately in the new long block.
'
Every comment will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
The way the newer high volume oil pumps work is just like the older oil pumps that came on the 88" motors.

They still need to be centered on the cam plate. Only difference is the oil flow.

So, to answer your question, the rumor is not true.

One thing to consider that Hillside Cycle (Scotty) recommends is Zippers dual piston hydraulic cam chain tensioners.
Also, use Torrington inner cam bearings on reassembly.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i did my oil pump upgrade because i was doing cams and lifters - thats the only reason

imho you gain no more long term reliability ,its more of a mental thing

your motor is under warranty now so why screw with it-when its over maybe do cams lifters ,maybe geardrive along with the oil pump.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
The way the newer high volume oil pumps work is just like the older oil pumps that came on the 88" motors.

They still need to be centered on the cam plate. Only difference is the oil flow.

So, to answer your question, the rumor is not true.

One thing to consider that Hillside Cycle (Scotty) recommends is Zippers dual piston hydraulic cam chain tensioners.
Also, use Torrington inner cam bearings on reassembly.
Wouldn't hurt to toss in the Baisley LMR spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts