Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
because........boobs
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scrolled through the new posts this morning and noticed a lot of bike crash posts, here's mine, although its 4+ weeks later..

So I was up in Laconia for bike week on the last weekend June 19-22 and my wife and I had friends with us. We decided to run up 25E and then get on 16N to head to the Kankamangus Highway for a good ride. We made it to about 150ft before the junction of 25/16 and when you get to this point the road is wider, opening up to 2 lanes for North and South lanes. The tractor trailer driver in the right lane was slowing down and let a bike pull out to cross the eastbound lanes from a bar at the junction. The guy on the other bike pulled out in front of truck and never stopped to see if someone was in the left lane.....and I had about 20ft to react. He ended up hitting my right fork, front fender, engine guard (best $ spent ever, saved my foot/leg from being broken). I pushed my handlebars forward about 4" which ended up stripping the riser bolt holes out, my lights were pointing every direction but in front of me. My wife came off the bike and luckily landed on her feet with only a scratch on her knuckle. I ended up hitting my knee hard on either my engine guard or his bike, not sure which. Turns out the guy doesn't have insurance (said he did). Still waiting to hear back from my INS Co. as they haven't confirmed the guy was at fault yet.....not even sure how its possible!! They haven't figured it out yet, its been a month now! Bike still in shop, they are waiting on parts to come in.....this down time is killing me, but at the end of the day at least me and my old lady are OK, and our friends were not involved in wreck. Could be a lot worse. I have a trip planned around the bike for Wed-Sun next week in Vermont, gonna be cutting it close if we can still ride or not....

**Idiots aren't only in cages**
Stay safe

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Damm, police weren't summoned at time of accident?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Man, that's terrible. Stupid move on his part. Not that it matters, but just curious. Was it another Harley?

--

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
Glad no one sustained serious injuries. And the guy said he had insurance but turns out he didn't? That's why we carry uninsured motorist coverage, hope he gets a very expensive ticket for that.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident but like you said everyone is okay and that's what's important. Hope he gets a nice big ticket for no insurance.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,970 Posts
Glide you and the misses are relatively ok. Sorry to hear about the bike, though.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,390 Posts
Stay safe
You got that right. I gave up on the big rallies and most of the smaller rallies, also very rarely ride with a group I don't already know.

Just to many idiots on two wheels as well!

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
...... but at the end of the day at least me and my old lady are OK, and our friends were not involved in wreck.
Stay safe
In the end it is all that matters. Really glad to hear it was a comparatively happy ending.

HDF Members seem to have targets painted on them as of late.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Darn, how many members have been hit in the last few weeks? This is getting scary.
Busted, from my experience, if the insurance company is still dragging their feet about "fault" then you are going to end up having to chase after the clown in question who caused this to happen. Insurance weenies will drag their feet for years if you let them. As Joe stated, I learned to carry uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. Sure hope this works out in your favor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No matter how it turns out with his insurance. I feel your insurance or anyone's for that matter should cover you and your ride. Then the insurance should go after the other idiot for the whole bill if it turns out he does not have insurance. They have the resources to go after the turd, most of us donot.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
That sucks, the main thing is you and the O.L. are okay. Sorry about the bike, but it can be fixed or replaced.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear of another accident. Glad you and your wife are ok!

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, glad your both ok. No police report? IF the truck driver motioned for the bike to pull out the truck driver could be found at fault. When I drove a Company truck it was policy that under NO circumstances were we allowed to wave someone to go for this reason.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Dang! That truly sucks. Thankfully you folks are okay. It really getting freaky with all of the accidents this year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ya Sucks and also sucks that we have to have paay additional insurance because someone else doesn't .The original idea of no fault was our ins. co mpany would cover us but the ins. co's found that they could make us pay for the other driver also increasing their profits. AND, if they do pay they find a reason to increase our premiums to cover their losses . So the uninsured , underinsured driver gets a fine and usually doesn't have any money for us to recoup our loss and the State gets the fine money.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No matter how it turns out with his insurance. I feel your insurance or anyone's for that matter should cover you and your ride. Then the insurance should go after the other idiot for the whole bill if it turns out he does not have insurance. They have the resources to go after the turd, most of us donot.
That's usually how it works. The important thing is that no one was seriously injured. Glad you two are okay!

·
because........boobs
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks All for your well wishes, much appreciated.

We have our insurance bumped up, so either way it falls we will get the bike fixed (hopefully in time for next weeks trip..).

The police did show up, and were there relatively quick in responding, they were good at the scene, took pictures and took our report and witnesses. The truck driver did not stick around.

it was another Harley that hit us (although it looked/sounded like it was on its last leg)

So the INS. Co went to the scene twice to measure the road to determine if it was 2 lanes on my side or not, both times couldnt definitively decide as its not marked with white lines until 20' before the lights. Well if they cant decide how the hell is anyone else suppose to? So apparently they contacted the local police and the police say they look at it as 1 lane until right at the lights. The eastbound lane was well wider than two full size vehicles at this point, AND where the road opens up it widens to the right, I was going to be turning left, so I stayed straight, so the truck veered right, I didnt veer left to go around him, but because of the police saying to INS Co. that they feel its 1 lane, and where there is no white lane lines (newly paved road there) I am now having to pay my deductible as they wont find him 100% at fault. No sense of dwelling on it at this point (just got the news yesterday afternoon), I don't have the time to go to NH and fight the ruling, so $500 deductible it is and take it right up the tailpipe....

At least I have a pulse and the bike will get fixed and be back on the road by early August at the latest.

·
Try'n to behave
6,280 Posts
As has already been expressed, but it can't be said enough; I am glad you are still upright and breathing.

Might want to rethink fighting the ruling if you have any way to do it. Any at fault accident will more than likely result in an increase to your premiums (because even though insurance is state mandated legal gambling, insurance companies are very poor loser's).

Anyway, I certainly hope they get your bike finished in time for your trip, but if they can't, is there any way they will get you a loaner bike? I know it's not the same as going on your bike, but at least you would be able to go.

·
because........boobs
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Pred8er,

unfortunately the coverage doesnt cover a loaner bike and the cost of a rental is thru the roof per day....I figure if Im gonna spend rental type money on a bike, it will be mine!

Im looking into my options for fighting this, I think that the insurance couldnt get a straight answer on the road from the police so they wont find the assclown who hit me 100% at fault.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts