Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about cancelling my current roadside assistance plan with a major provider of such things and just upgrading my HOG plan to include the truck as well. Any comments regarding the quality of this service would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Been several years since I read the info that came with my "complimentary" HOG membership I got when I bought a new bike, but seems to me calling for HOG assistance was limited to regular business days & hours. Told me all I needed to know.

My wife has had AAA for years so I got on the membership with her and upgraded to AAA RV & motorcycle coverage. 24/7.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that they have 24 hour coverage but if you want to go to a Harley dealership, you have to do it during business hours. Which makes sense. Would be the same with a car and AAA.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I had to use it once to get towed o ring went out on fuel line the tow truck picked me up and we found one in next town never went to HD shop

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is a good question. I got motorcycle added to my AAA when I started riding last year. Then I realized Progressive is charging me $15 a year on my motorcycle insurance for coverage. Then I got a Harley and I noticed my extended warranty has coverage. Then I noticed my one-year HOG membership has coverage... So, I've been wondering what to do, too.

I was thinking I was just going to keep the AAA, and let the ESA cover anything over their limits. The others seem to have too much fine print, or would be too much trouble: like sending in receipts for any coverage at all, or ridiculous limits like 30 miles max.

HOG seemed like the worst one of them all. I doubt I will be buying it after the free period--unless I am missing something, it is just a bi-monthly magazine and awful roadside assistance???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Regarding HOG, take a careful look at their docs.

Their best plan, an outrageous $50 per year, states:

"Towing for Covered Vehicles is to the nearest service facility up to 35 miles."

Their worst plan caps limits at $100 total.

Why bother with any of their plans, unless you never leave a town with a Harley dealer?

AAA is like $30 per year for motorcycle and includes 4 tows to locations of your choosing up to 100 miles, which will work for just about everyone east of the Mississippi river.

Of course, I have been west of the Mississippi a time or two, and I know even a gas station can be hard to find in some of the "flyover" states so 35 miles seems ridiculous--basically no coverage at all. I don't even know if AAA's 100 miles would help some of you. So, basically you have to judge each on it's own merit and in relation to your own situation.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
This is a good question. I got motorcycle added to my AAA when I started riding last year. Then I realized Progressive is charging me $15 a year on my motorcycle insurance for coverage. Then I got a Harley and I noticed my extended warranty has coverage. Then I noticed my one-year HOG membership has coverage... So, I've been wondering what to do, too.

I was thinking I was just going to keep the AAA, and let the ESA cover anything over their limits. The others seem to have too much fine print, or would be too much trouble: like sending in receipts for any coverage at all, or ridiculous limits like 30 miles max.

HOG seemed like the worst one of them all. I doubt I will be buying it after the free period--unless I am missing something, it is just a bi-monthly magazine and awful roadside assistance???
I think most all the auto insurance companies go ahead and add in the roadside assistance coverage without even asking you if you want it. When I noticed it on a State Farm renewal I called and told them I didn't appreciate them adding it without asking and had it removed immediately.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Regarding HOG, take a careful look at their docs.

Their best plan, an outrageous $50 per year, states:

"Towing for Covered Vehicles is to the nearest service facility up to 35 miles."

Their worst plan caps limits at $100 total.

Why bother with any of their plans, unless you never leave a town with a Harley dealer?

AAA is like $30 per year for motorcycle and includes 4 tows to locations of your choosing up to 100 miles, which will work for just about everyone east of the Mississippi river.

Of course, I have been west of the Mississippi a time or two, and I know even a gas station can be hard to find in some of the "flyover" states so 35 miles seems ridiculous--basically no coverage at all. I don't even know if AAA's 100 miles would help some of you. So, basically you have to judge each on it's own merit and in relation to your own situation.

If you step up your level of membership to AAA Plus, and add the motorcycle coverage, I believe you get 200 miles.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Maybe that's Premium. I have Plus. I think it goes Standard, Plus, Premium...

Oh, and other AAA divisions could be different. Mine is AAA South.
It is premium for $119 a year i get my cars and bike covered for 200 miles and they cover gas, towing, lock outs dead batteries, ive been with them for over 28 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is an issue that confuses me as well. I have roadside assistance through my insurance, through HOG and through AMA. One thing I did find is that none cover in the case of a collision, only breakdown and such.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,450 Posts
Still trying to find the original letter for the HOG/Road-America towing package. The top 2 packages offered stated tow to nearest facility. I do not recall the 100 mile limitation on those plans.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Pulled this straight from the HOG website this morning.

Deluxe Package:

Tow to nearest authorized HD dealer without limitation on number of tows. (Please note dealerships are not open 24/7)

Ultra Package (same as above PLUS:)

Travel expense reimbursement if any of the following occurs: your scoot is disabled as a result of mechanical breakdown of a warranty-covered component and is 100 miles or more away from your residence; or your covered scoot is disablbed as a result of a collision, is 100 miles from home and repair is delayed due to the unavailability of parts.

Ultra Plus Package (same as above PLUS:)

Tow your scoot to closest authorized service facility (up to 35 miles).
Liquids delivered (fuel, oil water) You pay for fluids not delivery.
Jump a dead battery.
Extrication assistance (pull your scoot out of a ditch, river, lake, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts
I haven't used it in almost a decade (last accident). The cops had it towed to a local yard while I was being taken to the hospital. I turned in my receipt to HOG and my insurance (I had towing). Between the 2, I came out even since they both had a cap that was exceeded by the cost.

·
HULK7
182 Posts

I agree! I had to have my bike towed to the dealer that was closes to my house not the dealer I purchased and who was doing my service! The dealers where 5 miles apart at best! Then the overage was ridiculous for what they where offering

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I added the Plus to HOG last year (may keep it another year), and now have AMA as well. Also, my insurance has pretty complete coverage. So, I may be a bit over cautious but when I'm crossing the country and something happens I should be able to get someone to tow me somewhere. Granted, dealerships or independents are only open tues-sat and from 10-5 usually. But, car dealerships are no different. Part of being on the journey is taking what comes. An unplanned overnight in an unfamiliar town/city can sometimes be an adventure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had to use the HOG tow plan last month. Blew an oil line on the interstate 30 odd miles from the nearest HD dealership. The tow contractor called me before leaving his shop and told me he had a weight limit on his truck and if he had to use his trailer it would cost an additional $60. It turned out the bike met his truck rack's limits but just bareley and then the "normal business hours" thing came into effect since it was after hours on a Sunday. An indie dealer near my house was still open but too far for the HOG towing policy so I had it towed to the HD dealership and the indie shop loaned me a trailer at no charge to bring it to them. I switched to AAA this month.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I pay nothing. When I break down, I'll use all those years of premium savings to pay a local cash. :rollin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts