Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after 61,000 miles my 07 Electra Glide decided to have the cross over pipe break on my exhaust. Has anybody just patched with a weld where the cross over pipe connects and make theirs a 2-1 system? I’m limited on funds and not being able to ride is killing me. I’m pretty handy at fabrication so welding the patch on isn’t an issue.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Welding that joint does not usually last long because the metal has rusted from the inside. Without getting into large $$ you can get a "Fullsac" dual conversion. The market is full of choices though.

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
Look on eBay.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welding that joint does not usually last long because the metal has rusted from the inside. Without getting into large $$ you can get a "Fullsac" dual conversion. The market is full of choices though.
Thank you! I hadn’t seen that before. I’ll be ordering this shortly. Hopefully it ships quick. I really appreciate the reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, after 61,000 miles my 07 Electra Glide decided to have the cross over pipe break on my exhaust. Has anybody just patched with a weld where the cross over pipe connects and make theirs a 2-1 system? I’m limited on funds and not being able to ride is killing me. I’m pretty handy at fabrication so welding the patch on isn’t an issue.
I bought my True dual conversation on eBay a couple of years ago for less than $150.00. I installed it on my 2001 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I have the Vance & Hines Monster Round slip on and this conversion made my bike sound awesome not to mention that it runs a lot better. My bike is stage one. Haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the Fullsac conversion on Monday and it should be here tomorrow, I can’t wait to get it put on. I’m running stock mufflers and I’ve read that they do t give the best sound. I guess if I don’t care for them I’ll just have to get another set.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
The Fullsac pipe went on my '07 without problem. It was at least 10 yrs. ago, but I think you need to be attentive on how you reuse a heat shield to cover the section that the rear pipe used to join on the right. Put everything for the rear cylinder on loosely, then tighten a little here/there until it's correct.

·
Registered
75 Posts
? So ?

You went from a 2 into 1 Header configuration ...
&
Converted your bike into a 2 into 2 TRUE-DUAL exhaust ?

Didn't this REDUCE the HORSEPOWER instead of INCREASE it ?

Just Curious - I'm not well versed on Twin-Cam or Milwaukee-8 ENGINES

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
? So ?

You went from a 2 into 1 Header configuration ...
&

My original plan was to make a 2 into 1 system, the crossover pipe broke at the weld for the left side and my thought was to just weld a patch over where the left side connected. Then a Fullsac conversion kit was suggested and after looking and reading about it I decided to go that route and go with true duals. I haven’t received the Fullsac conversions yet so I can’t say one way or the other on torque and HP gains or losses.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
? So ?
You went from a 2 into 1 Header configuration ...&

Good question. I've always read/heard that a 2 into 1 system provides better low end. Before I did my Fullsac conversion, I rode my Electra Glide all around my town. I paid close attention to ease of moving from a stop and how much throttle & rpm's were needed. I did the same after putting the Fullsac on. It took a little more rpm's to smoothly start afterward. I probably would not have noticed, if I had not paid a lot of attention to the before. The mpg is identical to before, and I cannot tell any difference once underway. I do ride higher in the rpm range than many HD riders, so I can't comment on loss of low rpm roll on power. I just remembered, the main reason I went this route is to alleviate some of the right side exhaust heat which at times was uncomfortable. I have fairly quiet mufflers, but the sound from behind is more separate (of course), from the saddle, meh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts