Discussion Starter #1

·
Wayward Son
23,144 Posts
I try to do that with any and all Vets. :USA

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,157 Posts
We just lost one of our real heroes this week. Jerry was former Mayor and came out of WWII as an Ace Corsair pilot. Definitely we're losing the last of the best.

·
Registered
37,631 Posts
Was in line behind a WWII Vet yesterday at the grocery store.
Patted him on the shoulder to get his attention, shook his hand and thanked him for his service.

Put a smile on both his and his wife's face. He said that was a long time ago.

Sometimes it feels like the Gulf War was a long time ago, and then there are things I remember like it happened yesterday.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,157 Posts
Brian, if you think the Gulf War was a long time ago, consider how we feel about Nam. I remember That Dad didn't live to see the 50th anniversary of WWII, and I remember thinking how long ago that had been, and now we have crossed past the 50 year mark for "our war" (as Desert Storm will be for many of you), and I think how many lifetimes ago that seems to have been, but I sure do remember those Air force Beer Bashes we used to have.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
The Greatest generation is rapidly passing , if you see a WW II vet , shake his hand and thank him.

Viral video: Navy officers sing 'Anchors Aweigh' to Pearl Harbor survivor at his home | Fox News

----------------------------------------------

This Young Amtrak Worker Showed Every American the Right Way to Treat a 99-Year-Old WWII Veteran
I have friends who were Navy. They all teach you what MARINE stands for... "My Ass Rides In Naval Equipment". :laugh

:USA

One of the best, and funniest (IMO) movies ever made.

·
Registered
37,631 Posts
I have friends who were Navy. They all teach you what MARINE stands for... "My Ass Rides In Naval Equipment". :laugh

:USA

One of the best, and funniest (IMO) movies ever made.
You know what NAVY stands for right? Never Again Volunteer Yourself. :D

·
David
897 Posts
Every military personnel I come in contact with..
Active and retired..I Thank them for there service with a firm hand shake as well as thank them for the freedom we continue to Enjoy!

·
Registered
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:usa 97-year-old WWII vet honored more than 70 years after service | Fox News

A 97-year-old World War II veteran was awarded medals for his service on Tuesday, more than 70 years after he defended U.S. troops under fire from German soldiers.

Stewart Marshall, of South Carolina, was honored at a special ceremony in Lancaster County, where he received nine awards, including a Bronze Star and U.S. Army medal of commendation, for his wartime service, according to local media reports.

A humbled Marshall sought to downplay the significance of the recognition in a room surrounded by other veterans, WNCN reported.

"I appreciate it very much, but I'm a little uneasy," Marshall said.

"There’s no such thing as deserving anything out of this, because it’s a job that was needed," he said, according to the station.

·
Registered
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:USAMedal of Honor Recipient Serenaded on 92nd Birthday | Military.com :usa

A Medal of Honor recipient has celebrated his 92nd birthday with the help of 50 Navy petty officers who serenaded him outside his home.

The sailors sang "Happy Birthday" and "Anchors Aweigh" to former Navy combat pilot Capt. Thomas Hudner, then presented him with a birthday cake and shook his hand during the ceremony Wednesday at his home in Concord, Massachusetts.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,338 Posts
Agreed about our WWII vets are getting fewer and fewer every Day. My dad and three Uncles were all in WWII and they have all been gone for year's. 2017 My Dad will have been gone 20 years it's hard to believe it's been that long . They were a Different breed of men with a work ethic that was 2nd to none and a drive to succeed and defend this great Country for us today and the Pride they took in it .A lot of these Great men will still try to kick your azz for desecrating this country or our Flag . The young people of today just don't get it . It is truly a sad sight of what the future holds for the next generation .

:usa.........:usa........ Thanks to all our Veterans young and Old alike.......... :usa............:usa

A former WWII vet was finally to put to rest in his home town of Harbor Beach Mi this Past weekend 9/2/ 2016
His remains have finally made it home since 1942

·
Registered
37,631 Posts
Interesting that the in ground burial requirements are different than above ground inurnment.

Anybody that has served 1 day and was honorably discharged can be inurnmed above ground at Arlington.

As a War Vet, I am qualified to be buried in ground at any National Cemetery, except Arlington.

Arlington is reserved for retired military members, POWs, or recipients of any of the following:

1. Medal of Honor
2. Distinguished Service Cross (Navy Cross or Air Force Cross)
3. Distinguished Service Medal
4. Silver Star
5. Purple Heart

·
Registered
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:usa 75 years later, seaman killed in Pearl Harbor to return home | Fox News

Three-quarters of a century after he was killed during the surprise Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the remains of a young Navy sailor finally are heading home to Kansas.

Lewis Lowell Wagoner was a 20-year-old Navy seaman second class when he perished and was declared missing after the Dec. 7, 1941, attack that propelled the United States into World War II. Wagoner was aboard the USS Oklahoma when that battleship, along with other U.S. warships, was doomed by torpedoes while helplessly moored in Pearl Harbor.

Wagoner's body, unidentified at the time, eventually was recovered, along with several hundred fellow shipmates. All of them were buried as "unknowns" in a Hawaii cemetery. But last year, the U.S. military dug up the mass graves and began a painstaking push by special military laboratories to put names to the remains, using pre-war dental records and modern advances in DNA testing.

Wagoner's remains are to be flown Friday to Wichita, Kansas, a day before a memorial service and interment with military honors at a family plot in Harvey County's Whitewater Cemetery. A bronze grave marker -- noting the Missouri-born serviceman's status as a Purple Heart recipient -- already awaits him in a row of final resting places for three of his seven brothers. Just one brother, 87-year-old Carl Wagoner of Syracuse, Utah, is still living.

While saying "it's a joy that we're finally able to bring Uncle Lewis home," 70-year-old Wichita niece Linda Guinn called it bittersweet in that only one sibling is able see it happen.

"When his brothers all were younger, they were always talking about Lewis and wondering if he could ever be brought home," said Doris Wagoner, Lewis Wagoner's sister-in-law. Her husband -- Merle Wagoner, a Navy veteran of the Korean War -- died three years ago at the age of 79.

Japanese planes hit the Oklahoma with a blitz of torpedoes, quickly capsizing the battleship. Thirty-two men were rescued via holes cut through the hull, but 415 sailors and 14 Marines didn't make it.

·
Registered
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Top Army Officer and Soldiers Rescue Passenger in Fatal Crash:usa :hero

The top officer in the U.S. Army and his staff were among the first to help motorists who were trapped in their vehicle after crashing into a transit bus in southeast D.C. Wednesday night. The accident killed one and injured three others, Army Times reported Thursday.

Gen. Mark Milley, the chief of staff of the Army, was traveling in a two-car convoy from Joint Base Andrews to Fort Meyer, Virginia when they came upon the wreck between a car and a Metrobus.

Two soldiers helped pull one person from the car before it caught fire. Another passenger could not be pulled from the car because it had become engulfed in flames and was later pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

1 - 20 of 670 Posts