Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New BDL open belt drive installed, yay!

But…
Transmission mounting bolts were tightened at some point before engine mounting bolts. Boo!

Right now, BDL motorplate bolts have been torqued to engine and transmission, clutch and comp sprocket have been torqued, starter and jackshaft installed, shocks, everything installed and torqued, except for those engine mounting bolts.

…As I’m typing this out, I’m confirming my hunch that I have to tear the whole thing down again, but I’m hoping for a miracle of a green light. 🙏…

Could I just re-loosen the tranny mounts, all of the motorplate bolts and retorque everything in the proper sequence, as long as the mainshaft and motorplate mounting bolts don’t bind (according to HD manual)? In other words, am I able to reset everything without completely removing the front comp sprocket, clutch and motorplate? … I guess it really isn’t really more work, and I don’t know why I’m dreading it so much, but I am.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,336 Posts
If you want to err on the side of caution, you can just loosen the bolts and torque them all down in the proper sequence, though really actually pull the bolts you loosen and clean them, I think the bolts call for red thread locker, but I don't think you really need to take everything all apart, if I am understanding what you're asking.

Not sure exactly what bike or BDL kit you went with, or how the torque sequence might affect the belt alignment.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to err on the side of caution, you can just loosen the bolts and torque them all down in the proper sequence, though really actually pull the bolts you loosen and clean them, I think the bolts call for red thread locker, but I don't think you really need to take everything all apart, if I am understanding what you're asking.

Not sure exactly what bike or BDL kit you went with, or how the torque sequence might affect the belt alignment.
I’m OCD, will definitely clean threadlocker off of all nuts and bolts before reinstalling with new loctite. :)

As for the bike, it’s a 99 fatboy with a BDL 2” open belt drive with ercps-100 dry clutch plates, BPP-600 Ball Bearing Pressure Plate and …

ugh the clutch assembly blocks the screws to the transmission. Looks like I’ll be going through with it.

and … phones about to die but I’ll complete the rest of my reply / add details when I’m done for the night.

Thanks for your quick reply, I do appreciate it. 😊

1 - 3 of 3 Posts