Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Been riding a Ninja 250 for about 4 1/2 yrs until I got rear ended last month. Other than bruises I'm ok.

Anyways, I love Harley's and now I'm in the market for one.

I use to like the Iron 883 but fell in love with the Street 500/750.

Hope I get one soon. BTW, anyone in Los Angeles?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome glad your ok have fun looking for your new bike. I would go for the sportster

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
"The 750 is a good starter, but sporty's are lots more fun and yes stay away from the 103" "

Why would you stay away from the 103"?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree with the above, look at a nice Sportster. There are lots of them
always for sale, like new, low miles, and for a good price.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Thanks guys!!!

But what's a 103?
We tend to assume a lot here on this forum.

Welcome from Louisiana, the other LA. :)

"103" refers to the displacement of the big V Twin that Harley uses in their larger framed bikes. They are the flagship engines of the MoCo and they are pretty well thought of. The Sportster has an 883cc v twin engine and can also be had in a 1200cc model. I'm not surprised that coming from a Ninja, you would be attracted to the Street models. But you should consider an 883 Sportster before you decide.

My son has a 500 Ninja and a Fat Boy and loves them both!

--

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I see. Why you say the iron 883? I mean I really like it since it's the bike that attracted me to the Harley's. Just curious.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome from Oregon.

Go to a dealership and look around, sit on what you can and check them out for fit. You can change bars, seats and foot pegs to some degree for the type of riding you do and comfort.
Get an idea of what and how your going to have to pay for it. Think it all over, check out some other dealers for pricing (it can vary) and different colors. Look around in the used market, you might find a good buy when you have a good idea what you want.
Any Harley is a good sized chunk of change so some patience and thought here will help in the long run.
If at all possible test ride the ones your interested in.

Lots of luck and enjoy the shopping.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just to refrase the 103 in a large frame bike may not be such a good starter unless your comfortable with the size and weight.
Good luck and welcome FLA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to refrase the 103 in a large frame bike may not be such a good starter unless your comfortable with the size and weight.
Ah, I see.

Well I sat on both Iron 883 and the Street 500. Both are comfortable for me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Completely agree. If you are comfortable with a smaller, lighter, more nimble machine, the touring frame and almost 900 pound weight of a 103 cubic inch might be a lot to jump to. That's too much money for your ride, and then fall in love with it, to constantly be worried about dumping it or fighting it at slower speeds. Sporty's hold their value, get traded around a lot, and are a wonderful entry bike when looking into a Harley. If you ride a sportster and find Harley's aren't for you, you are trying to sell a $5,000 bike that is widely sold, rather than a 15,000+ bike that might have a smaller, more specific market. Welcome and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
11,965 Posts
Greeting from Central Coast of CA. May check out a 1200 Sporty, many riders upgrade the 883 to the 1200 displacement. What you say about riding a quick bike like your Ninja a 1200 would not be stretch for you. The handling and weight would be different. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts