Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced pro's and cons on the HD horizontal oil cooler kits that mount in front of the oil filter?

·
What?
3,256 Posts
:popcorn

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
No..

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes - on my Deuce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright! Make me dig! Are these kits worth while and any issues with install, reliability, leaks etc. I have about 8k in am S&S big bore build on an '01 fxdxt. Last year noticed more heat than from the stock 88.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Oh. You were serious.

Well then.

I did about a 4,000 mile camping trip on my Ultra in '07 when it was practically new. Only had about 18,000 miles on it at the time. I had changed the air temperature guage out for an oil temperature guage. Sitting in traffic in Charlotte on the loop, I watched the needle peg. At that point I ran the berm and got off of the highway and rode some to cool it down.

I went ahead and changed the oil (yes it was synthetic) and watched it like a hawk for the rest of the trip. I waited until I got home and installed the HD oil cooler on it and even in the 100+ temperatures here, it has never pegged again. There was a spell where HD coolers were prone to leak for a few years, but mine is not one of those. Quality control or vendor switch? You decide. I have at least 20,000 more miles on it now and have had no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put one on my 06 Super Glide after my wife bought it for me new for Xmas. I love it cause it's thermostatically controlled and won't circulate when the oil is cold. On a mild day (60 degress or so) after riding the cooler is luke warm. On hot days the cooler is, well, hot. It seems to keep the oil at a consistant temp. Great investment men.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts