Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, working on a wide glide. The previous owner installed apes and ever since the horn has been a whisper if any sound at all. When I hit the horn switch the backlighting for the speedo will illuminate. I checked his splices for the new apes and they look clean. I pulled the horn anf straight wires it, it works loud and clear. I'm at a loss... Anyone have any ideas where else to look? I've got a feeling it has to be between the horn button and the speedometer, but everything looks ok.

·
Just Ride
3,211 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
A good multimeter is your friend, as well, the service manual will help you (the schematics are in there)...

·
Super Moderator
4,291 Posts
I had a group of 4 wires worn and shorted, intermittently. They were chaffed under the seat, just aft tank. My turn signals were acting very oddly and the problem seemed to change alot. I only found it with the meter because it was pretty hidden where it chaffed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. So, one multimeter and service manual later we have found the problem.

The previous owner did a lot of re-wiring to add accessory ports and some cheap neon lighting. After removing all of the junk wiring (and neon) to start fresh, and checking FritzHD's idea at the clutch perch, and bobf's idea about splices - the winner is Robert9999, horn ground, solved in part by Tom31w's suggestion! Not just any loose or corroded ground either - For some reason the PO had grounded the horn directly to the battery, on the positive post....I never noticed it until I got rid of all of the accessory wiring and started running it down with the meter.

Thanks again fellas

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. So, one multimeter and service manual later we have found the problem.

The previous owner did a lot of re-wiring to add accessory ports and some cheap neon lighting. After removing all of the junk wiring (and neon) to start fresh, and checking FritzHD's idea at the clutch perch, and bobf's idea about splices - the winner is Robert9999, horn ground, solved in part by Tom31w's suggestion! Not just any loose or corroded ground either - For some reason the PO had grounded the horn directly to the battery, on the positive post....I never noticed it until I got rid of all of the accessory wiring and started running it down with the meter.

Thanks again fellas
good post.. its always a good idea to ground anything you add to the ground post on the frame. follow the large ground wire to the frame. usually just in front of the battery there should be one or two bolts there that have multiple grounds. this way if the battery ever gets serviced or disconnected no one can mistakenly add or delete wires. also if you ground anything to the battery and the factory ground comes loose when you start the bike it wount try to ground thru your accys. burning them out.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts

Thanks again fellas
Glad it worked out for you. As was said earlier, it is a group effort. in the end, you got the problem solved and now you can let the cagers know that you are there and hopefully reduce the dangers... :bikerguy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts