Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

There many different styles of hose clamps. All of them good for there intended use. All of them have various shortcomings. I'm about to reassemble my fuel system on my 98 Fatboy. Carb, Tanks, and all. The hose clamp I will not use is the Worm Gear Style. I'm using fuel injection hose for my fuel line as it holds up to the E10 fuels sold in my area. Fuel injection hose has a soft exterior. The Worm Gear hose clamp allows the hose to extrude through the slots on the band of the hose clamp causing the hose clamp in extreme cases to come loose. I plan to use some type of spring steel solid band style. Many among us turn their own wrenches. Do you all have a preference as to what style of hose clamp you use?

Jonathan

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If you can find an independent import car repair shop in your area that uses the Winzer or the Wurth company to supply them with hardware, the hose clamps they sell are worm drive, but they have solid bands with no slots to cut the rubber. You just need to be more precise in matching the size to your hose, but they are very high quality.

-

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The worm gear style you mention works fine as long as you don't over tighten them. I use UV protected wire ties on my bike.
Now that you mention it. I've used wire ties on my dirt bikes of old. They seemed to work well as I remember it. As frontrider once wrote. "It's been more that a minute ago" since I have worked on or rode them. I might look into the UV protected type for mine.

Jonathan

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep those cards and letters coming.

Do any of you use the factory crimp on type?

Jonathan

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can find an independent import car repair shop in your area that uses the Winzer or the Wurth company to supply them with hardware, the hose clamps they sell are worm drive, but they have solid bands with no slots to cut the rubber. You just need to be more precise in matching the size to your hose, but they are very high quality.

-
There are a lot of indie shops around me. I'll see if they carry those product lines.

Jonathan

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Keep those cards and letters coming.

Jonathan
Haven't had the need on the bike. I liked them in the proper automotive and aircraft applications. Much cleaner and neater, IMO. But best in spots that rarely require servicing.

--

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts

Jonathan
I did on my Shovel. If I remember right the special tool was not too expensive. That was 30 odd years ago.

Plan on going with something like these on T~S. https://www.fastenal.com/products/h...ion Clamps"|~ ~|sattr11:^"Stainless Steel"$|~
I think the link shows the type Big Worm is talking about.
As he mentioned. The worm gear type work. But can cut the hose.
Have seen a few roadside failures of fuel lines caused by them.
Easy enough fix with a knife. But still a PITA when it spoils a nice ride.

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Typically I use the worm type, only thing I don't like about them is they seem to loosen and need to be tightened. I'm going to be watching this thread as I will be changing the fuel filter over the winter and am looking for a better hose clamp to use. Good thread.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I also use the factory one. Bought the crimping tool for about 20 bucks. Motion Pro I think. I use it every time I pull my tank.I pick up a few when I'm at the Harley shop. I also used them when I changed the filter that's in the tank. I like that they're compact and neat, but it is kind of a pita that you have to cut them and use a new one each time.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I also use the factory one. Bought the crimping tool for about 20 bucks. Motion Pro I think. I use it every time I pull my tank.I pick up a few when I'm at the Harley shop. I also used them when I changed the filter that's in the tank. I like that they're compact and neat, but it is kind of a pita that you have to cut them and use a new one each time.
They do make for a nice clean looking install. :nod

·
Registered
250 Posts
Try worm drive hose clamps made for silicone hose , looks like a regular hose clamp but a solid flat band on the inside so they don't cut the hose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts