Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....so I'm new to this forum and dont know what I'm doing. Lol so i'm gonna post here now. I have a 2012 Heritage with extreme heat on the rear cylinder. Put 2nd deg burns on my upper right thigh on the way back from Iowa. Getting ready to go to Texarkana end of the month and almost want to take the old FXR because this heat issue is unreal. I have heard need new exhaust with power commander and super tune will take care of this......any suggestions?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with your '12 Heritage and please post pics of your FXR. I ride an FXR too!

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome Harleygirl to the forum. You're question has been discussed "ad nauseum" for years. Do a search in the forum for hot running engines. But the short story is the engines are designed to run extremely lean for the the EPA, therefore very hot. They will cool down a little with new exhaust, removal of catalytic converters, power commander/tuner, and a better air cleaner. I had an 06 Heritage and got the same burns. I did the above plus changed the cam and finally got the needed relief. Bought a 11 Ultra and did the same thing (no cam), and it is much better. HD dealer will probably not do this for you, but a good indy can help. Not that big a deal if you're mechanically inclined. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Some sort of a tuner and getting different exhaust without the cats will help quite a bit. Also check out crotch coolers. You can do a search for motorcycle crotch coolers. They are a heavy piece of leather that goes under your seat and hang down over the rear cylinder on both sides 4 to 5 inches. I have them on mine and they do help. They were I think $75 depending on the style.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good advice above. I put the heat shields, dual exhaust, and a fuel tuner on my bike. It helps, but in stop and go traffic, my thigh still gets hot.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. only thing I can add is to run synthetic oil, which should help it run a bit cooler.. Down the road, I'd ditch the cats and get it tuned to richen it up a bit.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
2nd degree burns.......really?
That bike is running way too hot.
Get a tuner, SE Super tuner pro and dyno she will run way cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok....after checking with Milwaukee......Im putting V&H true duals, power commander, and super tune. Think this ride end of month will be much cooler. Thx again everyone. Also.....I'll put up pics of my FXR as soon as I can. Next for the Heritage.....apes. I rode the FXR for years with drag bars....put apes on and sooooo much better!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got a 2011 Heritage with just the Power Commander, everything else stock. Runs much cooler and better throttle response.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
2nd degree burns because of the hot engine? Unless u straddled the exhaust pipe...... nvm. But in the case this went over my head, I have a buddy's wife that rides a Vrod. She complained of the engine running hot she couldn't stand it. After swapping exhaust and getting a high flow Air Cleaner. This didnt help, the fix- he took off the exhaust heat shield and wrapped the pipes with exhaust wrap, cant tell its wrapped up once the heat shields go back on and it actually made it to where she doesnt feel a thing anymore. Just a thought, hope this helps

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope.....didnt try to get near the exhaust. Lol just rode it like I stole it for about 15hrs after we bought them. Kansas City traffic sucks when its 112deg out. I learned to NOT put anything in the right saddlebag....just melts stuff. Yep.....think the cat may be bad. Awesome bike...so comfortable on a trip except for that heat. But I just got the duals in.....now just got to get it to the shop to have them put on. YESSS!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Harley knows this is happening with some of these bikes but they cant do anything when building them, right now, because of EPA. Hubby said I was a wimp at first (then he saw what it did to me)! I rode my 89 FXR to West Va. Couple years ago. Heat over the river in St Louis split the heatshield on my hookers. Wired it up with wire fly swatter handle from the gas station.....got it home. Put new hookers on.....then Hooker stopped making m/c exhaust or I would've got them instead. Never rode with anything else but hooker header pipes.....but, hubby has V&H on his old bike and hyper charger. Soooo....guess I'll try these. Look forward to a comfortable ride now....I hope!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts