Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During my search for a retirement spot I came across these two communities in Arkansas. Just checking to see if any of my fellow HD riders have any first hand experience or advice regarding living/riding in either location.

Both look attractive on their web sites but that only takes you so far. Hoping to find someone with solid, real life information.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I'm from South Arkansas and at Hot Springs you are at the South end of one of the best roads for bikes in the country Scenic Arkansas 7. That road will take you up near the real Fayetteville where there is another large rally each year.

Also one BIG rally in Hot Springs each year and every other year or so the Arkansas HOG Rally is held there.

Golf is also big in Hot Springs Village.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,658 Posts
I'm from South Arkansas and at Hot Springs you are at the South end of one of the best roads for bikes in the country Scenic Arkansas 7. That road will take you up near the real Fayetteville where there is another large rally each year.

Also one BIG rally in Hot Springs each year and every other year or so the Arkansas HOG Rally is held there.

Golf is also big in Hot Springs Village.
Just got back home from ridin" around rogers and eureka springs and Fayetteville!!

Besides weather being not that great had a good time, and I wouldn't mind retirement there!!

Have few family members there, haven't talked to them for years though :nod

Might not wait till retirement!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Benton (east of HS about 40 miles) LOVE riding around HS. Lakes and scenery are fantastic. Not as much cager traffic down here compared to NW Ar, except downtown HS. It can be pretty busy, especially on the weekends. NW Ar gets a lot more winter weather too.

In NW Ar your close to Branson, Mo. Check it out on the web. HS has a LOT of history from the gangster days. 4 AWESOME lakes,HS is kinda built around Lakes Hamilton and Catherine. Lake De Gray is about 30 minutes south and Lake Ouachita is west just a little ways.

I think the cost of living is less in HS also. I know it is here in Benton.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Always interested in what the 'locals' have to say. It looks like a great area. I need to come out and spend some time and check it out.

I like riding scenic areas and enjoy playing golf so it may work for me.

thanks again!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I grew up in SW Missouri and went down to AR more than once. If I were you I would go with Hot Springs over Bella Vista. Both areas have roads and riding conditions that are so close they are comparable. Riding in those areas in the fall is AWESOME!! BUT Bella Vista is in a dry county.

If you don't drink.......Flip a coin.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I grew up in SW Missouri and went down to AR more than once. If I were you I would go with Hot Springs over Bella Vista. Both areas have roads and riding conditions that are so close they are comparable. Riding in those areas in the fall is AWESOME!! BUT Bella Vista is in a dry county.

If you don't drink.......Flip a coin.
Wow. didn't think they had dry counties any more!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The summers are frigging hot! I'm actually looking at moving to the Hickory area of North Carolina in a year..

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

Yep it is a dry county. Well, when you are in the middle of the bible belt and there is a church on almost every street corner it is easy to see why it is a dry county.
Would you rather drive down the street to grab a brew or 20+ miles to the county line just to get an adult beverage.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Arkansas has 75 counties. Over half of them are dry. But there are different levels of dry. Many have private clubs that you couldn't tell the difference from any other bar other than they are supposed to charge you a $5.00 annual membership fee. And many of those will give you your first adult beverage or two free when you join.

And checking Wikipedia for the count of dry counties I note that your state of North Carolina has "several" but the towns can override the county and be wet. So you only have one truly dry county, Graham County.

The Wiki page is sort of interesting and not a bad thing to keep in mind on long rides. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

·
Registered
2 Posts
I grew up in NWA 12 miles south of Bella vista excellent area to ride. It also so has been rated as one of the best retirement areas in the country. There is some of the best golfing there as well. Down side traffic there has increased. Upside Bella vista is just across the border from Missouri where you can by a beer or go to other stores in Benton county. The state is rescinding the dry counties since they aren't making money on liquor licenses owned by churches.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
Both areas have a lot to offer. My suggestion is to go to both and spend a couple of days and see which one fits your expectations. I have been to both, but return to NWA most often because of the overall attitudes of business owners that make you feel welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts