Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got lots of riding gear for a variety of weather conditions ... wet, cold, touring, yada, yada. And, maybe 12 or more helmets. Cold and wet don't bother me. I have Aerostich and other jacket/pants to use and they have armor in critical areas, too. Nice stuff.

Most of my Harley gear is leather ... chaps, jacket, boots. Pretty heavy for hot weather. The mesh gear I have is Honda/Kawa branded and not suitable "style-wise" for a Harley rider.

But, wonder what gear you folks in hot areas of the country use to ride in warm/hot weather that's comfy, yet safe.

Let me know what you folks use. It's going to bein the 90s here in New England this weekend. Yikes!

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I ride in mesh till 100° or so, I have some Harley branded and some cheaper.

Past 100° I wear armored denim, if I have the faring off to keep the heat off my chest and let the jacket vents keep the air flowing, it's a Cortech.

With the faring I continue to use mesh.

FF scorpion exo 1100 year round unless doing a parade type ride then I have a ½ helm.

Mechanix wear impact gloves of various designs for summer, cause they fit me well.

Timberland pro titan safety toe work boots year round, cause that's what I wear everywhere.

I have loads of other stuff but that's the picks of the litter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I use a Harley mesh with armor inserted. It also has 4 pouches to put ice bags. I carry quart size bags and stop at convenience stores and ask them for a little ice. They never charge and are always interested in watching me put these in the jacket. The ones on the spine are very effective. Seems to cool my body down all over even in 110 plus. I also still wear a full coverage helmet. It seems to keep the sun off my bald head and from burning.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Boots, jeans and a t-shirt. I'll take my chances. Can't stand armor & mesh.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"+1 what Craiger said. works for me, plus a little sun screen for my easy to burn skin."
Exactly, nothing against ATGATT, but it's not for me. If I wanted to ride safe I would be in a Hummer or semi.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
What Craiger said, with some chap stick, sun screen and a smile. I don't own sneakers.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Speedos, tank top, and flip flops.

:eek

Attachments

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Do you really wanna see Squeekie riding in a speedo?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was over 90* here in CT today. Humid as well, and quite sunny.

I decided to take the SG out with some gear on to see how it felt in high heat. I have the fork mounted wind deflectors that work very well to quell the buffeting of my helmet shield at 60+. But, they also, restrict some air flow, too. There are always unintended consequences of this farkle, or that. (sigh ...)

Anyway, hooked up my Cycleport Kevlar jacket with a pair of Dragin Jeans and some boots, Nolan flip up helmet and some mesh full fingered gloves. Pretty geared up with a good deal of armor.

Headed out for about an hour on back roads. Pretty sweaty and uncomfy. Safe, tho.

Came home and donned just a long sleeve shirt, vest, same/same jeans, different boots, different gloves, same helmet. Well, it was better heat wise, but I have to tell ya .... this is not a really safe way to ride..

Couple years ago, I crashed my mountain bike at 20 miles per hour on a dirt trail. I had a broken hand, deep gash on my finger, several cracked ribs, deep muscle bruises on my legs, cracked cheek bone, AND ... AND ... lots of road rash since I was just wearing a tee shirt, and shorts, gloves.

And, this was at 20 mph. Wonder how this would have worked at 40 ...
50 or so with a tee shirt, sneakers, and jeans on a motorcycle and Tarmac. I guess the helmet would help, but the other injuries would have been significant.

I'll prolly ride Sunday with some folks here in CT-land with a long sleeved shirt, jeans, boots, gloves and helmet ... and, hope there is not an incident. Most get by without an incident every week. Some don't.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Do you really wanna see Squeekie riding in a speedo?
Well, I could repost my picture I posted June 2 years ago when I first got my XL and joined the forum. In Levis shorts or "JORTS" as some said.I caught sh*t for it but I'm not worried.
:moonBart

·
2,327 Posts
It was over 90* here in CT today. Humid as well, and quite sunny.

I decided to take the SG out with some gear on to see how it felt in high heat. I have the fork mounted wind deflectors that work very well to quell the buffeting of my helmet shield at 60+. But, they also, restrict some air flow, too. There are always unintended consequences of this farkle, or that. (sigh ...)

Anyway, hooked up my Cycleport Kevlar jacket with a pair of Dragin Jeans and some boots, Nolan flip up helmet and some mesh full fingered gloves. Pretty geared up with a good deal of armor.

Headed out for about an hour on back roads. Pretty sweaty and uncomfy. Safe, tho.

Came home and donned just a long sleeve shirt, vest, same/same jeans, different boots, different gloves, same helmet. Well, it was better heat wise, but I have to tell ya .... this is not a really safe way to ride..

Couple years ago, I crashed my mountain bike at 20 miles per hour on a dirt trail. I had a broken hand, deep gash on my finger, several cracked ribs, deep muscle bruises on my legs, cracked cheek bone, AND ... AND ... lots of road rash since I was just wearing a tee shirt, and shorts, gloves.

And, this was at 20 mph. Wonder how this would have worked at 40 ...
50 or so with a tee shirt, sneakers, and jeans on a motorcycle and Tarmac. I guess the helmet would help, but the other injuries would have been significant.

I'll prolly ride Sunday with some folks here in CT-land with a long sleeved shirt, jeans, boots, gloves and helmet ... and, hope there is not an incident. Most get by without an incident every week. Some don't.
If I have to ride with that much crap I'll stay home I'm with Craiger.. the speedo just doesn't work

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rode Harleys many years ago with just a doo rag, ubiquitous black Harley tee shirt with bar/shield, and jeans ... I'm sure I looked very cool. But, I was not safe.

I wonder if our Seals and Rangers would venture into a routine operation in a Speedo? I doubt it. Even in high temps, I'm sure they are wearing armor and gear to protect them in case they have an incident.

I wonder if firemen jump into Speedos when the temps go beyond 90 degrees? Yeah, toss the fireman hats, the heavy protective jackets, the boots, gloves ... yeah, I'm sure they do.

I live in a helmet optional state ... Connecticut ... I saw prolly 70% of the riders today without helmets. Nearly all were on HDs. At least the ricers were wearing helmets, altho some were wearing shorts and sneakers. :)

The accident on the mountain bike was an anomaly. I rode that section of trail for over 15 years 100s of times without incident. I've had road rash. It is not cool, and the injuries I had are still plaguing me today. Jus' sayin' ....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Armored mesh, fingerless gloves full face helmet. It gets hotter than hell here in Charleston but I gotta set an example for the kids. When I'm rolling it isn't bad... Stop and go traffic is a b**ch though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
In world war II the pilots that took off with all their survival gear were the first to get shot down. Even before they left the tarmac they decided they were going to crash and burn.

The hardcore aviators left the airbase kicked ass and live to fight another day.

+1 with Craiger. As for the speedo the black leather seat burns the sh$t out of your a$$ cheeks on hot days. I'll stick with jeans. :mooning:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In world war II the pilots that took off with all their survival gear were the first to get shot down. Even before they left the tarmac they decided they were going to crash and burn.

The hardcore aviators left the airbase kicked ass and live to fight another day.

+1 with Craiger. As for the speedo the black leather seat burns the sh$t out of your a$$ cheeks on hot days. I'll stick with jeans. :mooning:
So ... you are quoting from WWII? Over 60 years ago?

What about pilots from Viet Nam? Or, present day? What do you know about how they gear up, bro?

I skied in jeans and a parka in the 60s. Froze my butt. Now, I ski with technical gear that allows me to keep warm and dry all day. I've had battery heated boots for over a decade. Hot packs for my gloves, helmet.

Move into the 21st century, m'friend.

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
So ... you are quoting from WWII? Over 60 years ago?

What about pilots from Viet Nam? Or, present day? What do you know about how they gear up, bro?

I skied in jeans and a parka in the 60s. Froze my butt. Now, I ski with technical gear that allows me to keep warm and dry all day. I've had battery heated boots for over a decade. Hot packs for my gloves, helmet.

Move into the 21st century, m'friend.
Your so correct, I forgot the pilots in the Bay of Pigs, Sully the guy who landed on the Hudson, The kid in the weather balloon, and anyone that was abducted by aliens.

I also would like to apologizes breaking the forum rule of not making reference to events in history.

WWII was from 1939 to 1945 That would be 78 to 68 years ago.

I'm elated to hear you found a way to stay warm on the slopes. I think the thread was warm weather.

I'll stay where I'm at for now. Don't quite understand all complicated technology you speak of. Well it's time for my medication and it's sponge bath night at the old folks home. If any one has a tennis ball for my Jiffy Stand. I had to put mine back on my walker. There's a hot chick with her ankles showing in the rec room peace out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts