Harley Davidson Forums banner

Houston I HAVE A PROBLEM

8K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  Q4GLiDe 
#1 ·
Coming to the right section i think.When i went to test ride this 09 ultra last week i didn't hear this sound when i started it (might being exited) .I picked this bike up saturday when i started it to unload off trailer it made a clank/knock sound so thought maybe the battery was going bad because lights went off while i started it i took bat off and charged it then had it checked it is a GOOD battery. Well i put battery in same noise while starting but once it's running it's good the sound is coming from
the compensator area NOTE this bike only has 20,360 miles on it 1 owner i welcome input with open arms from you fellas ?. Been looking on you tube and see similar symptoms i know i will need to take cover off to see. Where to get parts and i was going to get a extended warranty at HD after i get it inspected. What will be your options in this situation.

#2 ·
from reading another post i remember now putting it in gear is a louder clunk from my test ride so it could be the chain also i just have to take cover off?.what percautions to take after taking primary cover sense the bike is in a cold garage use a tile to cover clutch basket and there is wetness at gear shift rod and where the stator wire comes through casing guess fix them to.

#3 ·
This thread is at the right section. I can only wish i had an answer to your post. Waiting for one of the "Masters" to put an eye on this thread.. There are some very good wrenches that hang around here. Please, hoover over my name "1/2 Ton" and on the lower Right of the pop-up it says Message click it to send me a PM with the information previously requested. IMPORTANT: DELETE that last post in your other thread!

#6 ·
Took drain screw off pic of it metal on magnet,took cover off didn't find nothing worn started bike with a broom stick handle on motor it is definitely in the compensator area chain not flopping while running.Do you think I still need to pull compensator off take to shop

#12 ·
IMO, ya gotta take it all apart. You can cut an old file to length to jam between the comp sprocket and the clutch hub. The clutch hub bolt is left hand threads and the comp sprocket is right hand. They're gonna (or should) be real tight !
Check the welds on the comp sprocket assy., known to break. Check the magnets inside the rotor, known to come loose and trash the stator.
The comp bolt should be replaced after removal too.
Also use a tie strap and wrap it around that auto chain tensioner before you remove it or it'll spring open on ya!

#13 ·
And also check for slop in the slpines on the compensator sprocket shaft adapter. But in all honesty, from my experience with those particular comps, I’ve found it best to just go ahead and upgrade to the newer style compensator assembly if you’ve got it apart. Yes it cost money, but you’ll be better off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Wasn't there a recall or something on those welds breaking on those comps !
I kinda remember something about that. Or maybe a fix as fail warranty thing ?
I gotta do some research on that again.
I just did a 2009 Ultra that had the rotor magnets explode that took the stator out this spring. I posted pics here of that repair. 2009 touring models had a lot of issues !

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR
#15 ·
I don’t remember any recalls on them, but I do know 2007-2010 comps are know for failing. I’ve replaced more than a few. They cause all sort of problems if not addressed. But I also know a couple of guys that have 50k plus on those comps and have never had a problem. They just don’t seem to be able to handle the extra power the 96” motors make compared to the 88” motors.

#21 ·
I don’t remember any recalls on them, but I do know 2007-2010 comps are know for failing. I’ve replaced more than a few. They cause all sort of problems if not addressed. But I also know a couple of guys that have 50k plus on those comps and have never had a problem. They just don’t seem to be able to handle the extra power the 96” motors make compared to the 88” motors.

i got 50,000 miles out of my first compensator in my 2010 rkc. i just put a stock on back in. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
The nut was really on there tight already order the compensator with the oil diverter and had to buy a husky torque wrench only $50.00 regular $90.00 250 lb. Max for that 140lb on that nut.Still need to get the gasket kit,hard to find them kits ,what oil to use in primary?

#19 ·
All you will need for gaskets is a primary cover gasket and maybe a derby cover gasket. I say maybe because if you still have the OEM or if type derby cover seal, they can be re-used. As far as oil, I run Amsoil primary fluid in my bike. But you can use 20w-50 motorcycle oil, or some like to use ATF. That really is personal choice.

#20 ·
All you will need for gaskets is a primary cover gasket and maybe a derby cover gasket. I say maybe because if you still have the OEM or if type derby cover seal, they can be re-used. As far as oil, I run Amsoil primary fluid in my bike. But you can use 20w-50 motorcycle oil, or some like to use ATF. That really is personal choice.
Wet clutch friendly motorcycle oil important.

#24 ·
I use a air impact gun to remove the compensator sprocker. I bought a wedge from Amazon for about $12.00. Use the wedge between the primary chain and sprocket. This keeps it from moving. Can also use the same when you torque down the sprocket. You can get a torque wrench at Harbor Freight for about $20.00.

#25 ·
2X4 cut length ways. Cut it off till it fits between sprockets, works for on and off repairs, save your money.

#29 ·
42K on the stock tensioner from new 09 FXSTC. Very little wear on shoe. What's average life span of the primary chain??

#28 ·
I check my primary chain tension every time I change oil on my '07 Ultra. I never have found it tight.

Reactions: tommytailspin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.