Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
I don’t remember any recalls on them, but I do know 2007-2010 comps are know for failing. I’ve replaced more than a few. They cause all sort of problems if not addressed. But I also know a couple of guys that have 50k plus on those comps and have never had a problem. They just don’t seem to be able to handle the extra power the 96” motors make compared to the 88” motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i got 50,000 miles out of my first compensator in my 2010 rkc. i just put a stock on back in. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Coming to the right section i think.When i went to test ride this 09 ultra last week i didn't hear this sound when i started it (might being exited) .I picked this bike up saturday when i started it to unload off trailer it made a clank/knock sound so thought maybe the battery was going bad because lights went off while i started it i took bat off and charged it then had it checked it is a GOOD battery. Well i put battery in same noise while starting but once it's running it's good the sound is coming from
the compensator area NOTE this bike only has 20,360 miles on it 1 owner i welcome input with open arms from you fellas 😢. Been looking on you tube and see similar symptoms i know i will need to take cover off to see. Where to get parts and i was going to get a extended warranty at HD after i get it inspected. What will be your options in this situation.
Sorry to hear... my 09 was in the shop with lots of issues, I got it all fixed under warranty or insurance, and was fortunate to sell it. It was a lemon!
Back tracked to a 2005 Road King and it solved my problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a air impact gun to remove the compensator sprocker. I bought a wedge from Amazon for about $12.00. Use the wedge between the primary chain and sprocket. This keeps it from moving. Can also use the same when you torque down the sprocket. You can get a torque wrench at Harbor Freight for about $20.00.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
2X4 cut length ways. Cut it off till it fits between sprockets, works for on and off repairs, save your money.

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
easy peasy glide, upgrade compensater and rotor magnets. install a type b or c autotensioner set chain tension and you are good for another hundred thousand miles.🤠

·
Retired citizen
22,280 Posts
Or shit can that auto tensioner and install a Hayden spring tensioner in it's place.
The Harley auto tensioner makes the primary chain way to tight.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I check my primary chain tension every time I change oil on my '07 Ultra. I never have found it tight.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Or shit can that auto tensioner and install a Hayden spring tensioner in it's place.
The Harley auto tensioner makes the primary chain way to tight.
42K on the stock tensioner from new 09 FXSTC. Very little wear on shoe. What's average life span of the primary chain??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
2 steps foward 5 steps back i put the inner primary cover on found a rotor at HD dealer and i got the screaming eagle compensator went to put clutch basket on all these metal flakes came out the front :confused:this is what was on the primary drain plug has anyone replace the whole clutch basket or did a rebuild on it.I really don't want the get a used one them splines are probably ready to break putting it on.

·
Retired citizen
22,280 Posts
IMO replace the hub bearing also. Interference fit parts are never reused. Manual states to replace the bearing when pressed out.
I recently rebuilt the clutch on an '03 Ultra, the bike I replaced the belt on, got the hub and bearing thru J&P.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got everything back together started that crack sound is gone on start up but it's is a little noisy, washed it, pick a day to get inspection replaced front/rear brakes.
Will put new spark plug & wires

·
Señor Member
19,624 Posts
Got everything back together started that crack sound is gone on start up but it's is a little noisy, washed it, pick a day to get inspection replaced front/rear brakes.
Will put new spark plug & wires
What’s a little noisy? Still left side, primary noise?

·
Señor Member
19,624 Posts
Any updates? Everything else look good inside the primary at reassembly? Still noisy?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only update is take a ride a ride on it this weekend then I might take the cover off to look and check chain and compensator. Do you use trans fluid in primary and then I need to hear another harley motor run maybe it's just me.First time I put it in first gear from neutral it is a little jerky
Forks moving gears but if I go forward in first back to neutral then to first it's smooth and I let the bike warm up your thoughts 🥺

·
Retired citizen
22,280 Posts
ATF in the primary is fine. Good for spotting leaks too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I took a ride today couple things happened . the shifter gets stuck in down position i use my toe to lift back up the other tines it worked fine i did get a chrome spacer that moves the toe shifter out where the heel shifter would be,then at idle where should oil pressure be reading?mine reads 5psi but goes up to 35 to 40 psi when accelerating i still need to replace the oil clogged oil filter?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts