Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

old scoot coot
I took a ride today couple things happened . the shifter gets stuck in down position i use my toe to lift back up the other tines it worked fine i did get a chrome spacer that moves the toe shifter out where the heel shifter would be,then at idle where should oil pressure be reading?mine reads 5psi but goes up to 35 to 40 psi when accelerating i still need to replace the oil clogged oil filter?
you are probably ok. those oil pumps don't put out a lot of pressure at idle, have you changed engine oil and filter? also the twin cam engines are noisy two cam chains in cam chest and some rocker noise mixed in they just are kinda noisy, i just turn off my hearing aids. how many miles on bike? have you checked cam chain tensioners? if ya haven't changed engine oil and filter i would get that done. primary should be good. you went through it well. for shure clean fluids in trans and engine with new filter. atf, dextron three will take care of your comp and clutches. then just get her out and excersise it may not have been run for a while. keep us posted. 馃

Registered
The bike has 20,365 so what you think about the shifter getting stuck in down position at times? So the HD primary oil is too thick and the ATF is thinner what about summer months the ATF will hold up I will be pulling off the cover again to look at everything I put in .As long as most of the oil is drained I can fill back with ATF the two won't have a problem with a little oil mix?

South GA Redneck
Shifter issue sounds like a loose or stripped shifter. Check heel/toe shifter arms, front shift arm, and even check the shift arm on the transmission. It鈥檚 the hardest on to address but often overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old scoot coot
The bike has 20,365 so what you think about the shifter getting stuck in down position at times? So the HD primary oil is too thick and the ATF is thinner what about summer months the ATF will hold up I will be pulling off the cover again to look at everything I put in .As long as most of the oil is drained I can fill back with ATF the two won't have a problem with a little oil mix?
no i have 90,000 miles on my limited with atf in primary. lots of 100+ days in summer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
Had a good short ride temp 67 today but before i rode i took the shifter spacer out and put toe shifter back in the original spot no sticking shifter all day and i rode through the city lots of lights and stop signs.It was a wonderful experience on the UC on the highway :cry:.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts